CCleaner doesn't try to be a comprehensive answer to system performance.
- Won't suit people looking for a comprehensive answer to system performance
If you want a package that will do it all, this isn't it. If you just want to get the junk off of your hard drive and out of your Registry, CCleaner will do it -- for free.
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
CCleaner doesn't try to be a comprehensive answer to system performance. Instead, it's a freeware solution intended to clean junk out of your PC's registry and off your disk. It will also protect your browsing privacy by erasing your browser's history files. That's it.
What's nice about CCleaner is that it just does what it says. You don't have to deal with functions you don't need, and won't get lost in complexity.
With CCleaner, you load the program, run an analysis to see what the program thinks you can do without, make any changes, and let it go. It's fast and effective.
However, you do have to know something about Windows. For example, CCleaner will clear out all cookies that websites place on your computer, and it will give you a list of proposed deletions that you can edit. However, you need to know which cookies are important.
It's a long list, but fortunately, CCleaner remembers your choices from one use to the next.
CCleaner is able to analyse your registry and remove unwanted entries. Like other products here, it didn't get everything on the first pass - CCleaner found 1029 registry issues, but it took three passes to do so.
Unlike others, CCleaner doesn't provide a report of exactly how much it found, although it does tell you what it proposes to do, and later what it did, useful in case something goes wrong.
CCleaner has capabilities that you won't find in other packages, including the ability to run the program from the command line and to run in the background.
CCleaner also includes a software uninstaller. Microsoft includes an Add or Remove Programs option in Windows' Control Panel. But CCleaner will uninstall programs that Windows won't - a real help when a program is partially uninstalled and leaves junk behind in its wake. The interface isn't fancy, but it is clear.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Quickflix halts trading ahead of acquisition
- Facebook aims to launch unmanned drone by year-end
- Windows 10 launches with its fair share of bugs
- These graphics cards and processors support Windows 10's DirectX 12 graphics tech
- Windows 10 is a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC