Plantronics .Audio 480 Virtual Phone Booth
- Great design, excellent sound quality, noise-cancelling earphones and microphone
- Cable is so short that it restricts the usefulness of the device for some people
The Plantronics .Audio 480 Virtual Phone Booth is an excellent product that is hampered by one poor design decision. If the cable had been longer we would have been much happier with this headset.
Price$ 119.00 (AUD)
The Plantronics .Audio 480 Virtual Phone Booth is a discrete and lightweight headset designed for VoIP calls using a notebook. Both its ear buds have a canal headphone design which blocks out all exterior noise (as though you were in a virtual phone booth). The sound quality of the unit is excellent and the microphone picks up excellent voice while also cancelling quite a bit of background noise. The only complaint we have with these headphones is that the cable is extremely short.
The .Audio 480 is designed to be portable and as such doesn't have an over the head band. Each speaker sits in the ear with the earpiece creating a seal so as to block out unwanted noise. The earpiece has a small curved flap which is placed under the folds of the pinna to keep it in place.
The unit is extremely comfortable to use and the microphone is so light you tend to forget it is perched on the corner of your mouth. We ran tests to check the sound quality and were more than pleased with the results. The microphone picked up voice extremely well and the headphones produced clear sound without error. Since they are noise-cancelling headphones, they may take some getting used to as the loss of exterior sound also means a loss of awareness to exterior events.
We were very happy with the performance of the 480 which is all the more reason why we were disappointed with them on the whole. The cable on this model is extremely short. It is so short that it will not be able to reach to the back of your PC and is only designed for people who are using a notebook. Even then, they greatly restrict your movements because there is not enough leeway to allow you to move around at your desk while hooked up. With a longer cable we would have no problems recommending these headphones to all users but as they stand they are really only good for a limited demographic.
The .Audio 480 Virtual Phone Booth comes in USB or non-USB editions. The USB edition is the same as this version but comes with a USB converter dongle.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Parrot's Zik 2.0 headphones include an accelerometer and plenty of noise cancelling
- Kogan opens online shop in New Zealand
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCSenior Business Systems AnalystVIC
- CCLead Business AnalystNSW
- FTSQL DATA AnalyticsNSW
- CCProject Manager- Infrastructure and App Roles- Gov BackgroundNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - CloudVIC
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCApplication Service TechnicianVIC
- CCPortfolio ManagerVIC
- CCeLearning Developer / Learning Management System AdministratorACT
- FTDesktop Support Engineer (Renewable Contract)Asia
- CCSenior SAP BW & HANA Developer/Technical ArchitectVIC
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectVIC
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Configuration ManagerACT
- CCInformatica DeveloperNSW
- FTMidrange Server Provision SMENSW
- CCServiceNow Technical LeadNSW
- FTAEM & AEM Forms ConsultantsWA
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- CCMiddleware ConsultantVIC
- FTSAP ESB Service Management SpecialistVIC
- CCPre-Sales Consulting Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclise) 160721/AP/vmpAsia
- CCOracle Apex DeveloperWA