Plantronics .Audio DSP 400
A headset designed for voice, music and games.
- Foldable, portable, light, adjustable microphone, USB sound card for DSP, in-line volume controls
- Largely plastic build, ear cups are hot and tend to get uncomfortable, distortion at high volumes
Plantronics' .Audio DSP 400 is definitely worth a look if you're a heavy user of voice chat on your computer and it performs pretty well for regular music listening as well. The design won't suit everyone and the ear-cups tend to heat your ears, but sound quality is impressive.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Featuring a folding design and boasting DSP digital audio, the Plantronics .Audio DSP 400 is a headset designed for listening to voice, music and games on your PC. Though it's very portable, its construction won't be to everyone's taste and the ear-cups leave your ears hot and uncomfortable.
The design of the Plantronics .Audio DSP 400 is excellent. The headphones fold in half and are therefore easily thrown into a bag or suitcase. The headset is extremely light as it's largely made of gloss black plastic. Though all foldable parts feel well constructed, the light plastic build won't appeal to everyone and it does tend to cheapen the overall look and feel.
The Plantronics .Audio DSP 400's padded ear-cups are comfortable enough, but your ears tend to heat up very quickly when using them. Thankfully, the headband is comfortable and doesn't dig into the top of your head like many other headsets.
The headset comes packaged with a USB sound card, though you can use the regular analog headphone jack connection if you wish. For music listening we definitely recommend using the USB jack, which simply plugs into a spare USB port on your PC.
Although sound quality for music is fair, you will still get better quality from a dedicated pair of headphones. The Plantronics .Audio DSP 400 is light on bass and the headphones tend to distort at higher volume levels. Sound is crisp and clear, though, and the soundstage is surprisingly balanced.
The Plantronics .Audio DSP 400 really comes into its own for voice applications. We tested the headset with the latest version of Skype and also had a number of voice chats over Windows Live Messenger. The microphone worked well, with few complaints regarding outgoing audio quality. The microphone can be rotated and extended to bring it as close as possible to your mouth.
The Plantronics .Audio DSP 400 also includes in-line volume controls, along with a mute slider; the cord also has a handy shirt clip. The long cord is a godsend if you wish to sit well away from your PC, though the wires quickly become a tangled mess.
Join the PC World newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's AirPods could deliver audio with multiple wireless protocols
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- CCGIS Developer - GeocortexWA
- CCProject Scheduler-Port MacquarieQLD
- TPSharePoint AnalystQLD
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Azure/AWSVIC
- FTSupport and Operations Team LeadNSW
- TPProject Support OfficerQLD
- FTApplications DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW
- TPDrupal Developer - Immediate startQLD
- CCTest Automation EngineerVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- CCSystems Engineer (Systems Architect/Designer)VIC
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantWA
- TPSAP Helpdesk SupportACT
- TPFront End DeveloperWA
- TPProject Coordinator/Junior Project ManagerVIC
- CCIntegration DeveloperNSW
- TPSolution Architect - IntegrationQLD
- FTLevel 3 Support AnalystVIC
- CCLevel 1/2 SAP Support AnalystACT
- TPAnalyst Programmer (Adabas)SA