Plantronics GameCom X10
- Clear audio from headphone, good quality microphone, good price point
- Mic mute button leaks audio, colour scheme doesn't match the Xbox 360
If you are looking to jump Xbox Live or need to replace your current headset, the GameCom X10 is a cheap alternative to the official model.
Price$ 39.95 (AUD)
Like the other headsets in the Plantronics GameCom range, the X10 is designed with Xbox 360 online communication in mind. It is a single speaker headset with a noise cancelling microphone and an inline remote control. The sound quality is quite good and the microphone does a good job of removing ambient noise. The only issues with this headset are the mute function on the inline remote control and the colour scheme.
There is really only one way to test an Xbox 360 headset and that's to play some Xbox Live. To give the headset a thorough test, to give it a fair chance at proving itself, to give it the opportunity to either shine or fail, we were forced - literally forced - to play hour upon hour of Xbox Live. We used the X10 in games like Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, Gears of War and Rainbow Six Vegas and it never failed to deliver. The audio was crystal clear, we had no complaints from our team mates about the quality of our voice, and the design remained comfortable to wear even after long periods of use.
The only complaints we have with this unit are two fold. Firstly, when you switch the headset over to microphone mute, it doesn't do the best job of muting. It greatly diminishes the sound coming from the microphone but it doesn't remove all of it as you can still make out what is being said if you listen carefully enough. The other issue is the design. While it is comfortable, the black and green motif that Plantronics has chosen is more akin to the older style Xbox than the white and green aesthetic of the Xbox 360.
Apart from those minor problems we have no problem recommending this unit to someone looking for an alternative to the official Microsoft option. It is sturdier than the official headset, delivers better all-round performance and is a little cheaper too. Considering the Xbox 360 Premium pack doesn't come with a headset in this region, you may want to consider the Plantronics GameCom X10 when looking to head online for some multiplayer madness.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Star Citizen dumps DirectX 12 plans to focus on Vulkan-powered graphics
- Dungeons and Dragons ditches pen and paper with D&D Beyond
- Exclusive no more: PlayStation 4 games are coming to the PC via PlayStation Now
- Adding video apps like Netflix to the Nintendo Switch is a waste of Nintendo's energy
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCCommunications Network EngineerWA
- TPProject Support Officer - Data and Information ManagementVIC
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTHelpdesk TechnicianVIC
- CCITCM EngineerNSW
- CCFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- TPProject Manager | HealthQLD
- TPTechnical ManagerNSW
- FTSolutions Architects - 10 roles availableACT
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPProject SchedulerVIC
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- FTJunior Applications SupportACT
- TPWintel EngineerVIC
- FTSenior C# DeveloperNSW
- TPDeployment OfficerQLD
- TPICT Training and Development OfficerQLD
- TPSAP BA - Source to PayQLD
- FT.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- FTPMO ManagerNSW
- FTDirector, Centre for Cyber Security SolutionsVIC
- CCGIS Developer - GeocortexWA