Plantronics GameCom X10
- Clear audio from headphone, good quality microphone, good price point
- Mic mute button leaks audio, colour scheme doesn't match the Xbox 360
If you are looking to jump Xbox Live or need to replace your current headset, the GameCom X10 is a cheap alternative to the official model.
Price$ 39.95 (AUD)
Like the other headsets in the Plantronics GameCom range, the X10 is designed with Xbox 360 online communication in mind. It is a single speaker headset with a noise cancelling microphone and an inline remote control. The sound quality is quite good and the microphone does a good job of removing ambient noise. The only issues with this headset are the mute function on the inline remote control and the colour scheme.
There is really only one way to test an Xbox 360 headset and that's to play some Xbox Live. To give the headset a thorough test, to give it a fair chance at proving itself, to give it the opportunity to either shine or fail, we were forced - literally forced - to play hour upon hour of Xbox Live. We used the X10 in games like Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, Gears of War and Rainbow Six Vegas and it never failed to deliver. The audio was crystal clear, we had no complaints from our team mates about the quality of our voice, and the design remained comfortable to wear even after long periods of use.
The only complaints we have with this unit are two fold. Firstly, when you switch the headset over to microphone mute, it doesn't do the best job of muting. It greatly diminishes the sound coming from the microphone but it doesn't remove all of it as you can still make out what is being said if you listen carefully enough. The other issue is the design. While it is comfortable, the black and green motif that Plantronics has chosen is more akin to the older style Xbox than the white and green aesthetic of the Xbox 360.
Apart from those minor problems we have no problem recommending this unit to someone looking for an alternative to the official Microsoft option. It is sturdier than the official headset, delivers better all-round performance and is a little cheaper too. Considering the Xbox 360 Premium pack doesn't come with a headset in this region, you may want to consider the Plantronics GameCom X10 when looking to head online for some multiplayer madness.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Angry Birds 2 is the 'sequel' you've been waiting for
- Rising Thunder is a PC-exclusive robot brawler built by Street Fighter talent
- Nintendo's President Iwata's death comes as firm tries to move to mobile
- Batman: Arkham Knight (PC) review: Holy squandered potential, Batman
- Batman: Arkham Knight: How bad are the issues? Pretty bad.
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW