Plantronics GameCom X10
- Clear audio from headphone, good quality microphone, good price point
- Mic mute button leaks audio, colour scheme doesn't match the Xbox 360
If you are looking to jump Xbox Live or need to replace your current headset, the GameCom X10 is a cheap alternative to the official model.
Price$ 39.95 (AUD)
Like the other headsets in the Plantronics GameCom range, the X10 is designed with Xbox 360 online communication in mind. It is a single speaker headset with a noise cancelling microphone and an inline remote control. The sound quality is quite good and the microphone does a good job of removing ambient noise. The only issues with this headset are the mute function on the inline remote control and the colour scheme.
There is really only one way to test an Xbox 360 headset and that's to play some Xbox Live. To give the headset a thorough test, to give it a fair chance at proving itself, to give it the opportunity to either shine or fail, we were forced - literally forced - to play hour upon hour of Xbox Live. We used the X10 in games like Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, Gears of War and Rainbow Six Vegas and it never failed to deliver. The audio was crystal clear, we had no complaints from our team mates about the quality of our voice, and the design remained comfortable to wear even after long periods of use.
The only complaints we have with this unit are two fold. Firstly, when you switch the headset over to microphone mute, it doesn't do the best job of muting. It greatly diminishes the sound coming from the microphone but it doesn't remove all of it as you can still make out what is being said if you listen carefully enough. The other issue is the design. While it is comfortable, the black and green motif that Plantronics has chosen is more akin to the older style Xbox than the white and green aesthetic of the Xbox 360.
Apart from those minor problems we have no problem recommending this unit to someone looking for an alternative to the official Microsoft option. It is sturdier than the official headset, delivers better all-round performance and is a little cheaper too. Considering the Xbox 360 Premium pack doesn't come with a headset in this region, you may want to consider the Plantronics GameCom X10 when looking to head online for some multiplayer madness.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro hybrid Ultrabook
- 3 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 4 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 5 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Apple iPad Mini 3 review: Paying top dollar for yesterday's tech
- Report: Samsung's head of TVs may be asked to revitalize mobile business
- Webcam snooper now looking for a job
- Alienware’s push into the living room
- Kobo develops an eReader for Australia's beaches
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Echuca AreaVIC
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC