Plantronics GameCom X20
- Excellent design, Clear audio from earpiece
- Mediocre noise cancelling microphone, sound leakage on mute button.
While the design of the GameCom X20 is rather special, the performance leaves a lot to be desired.
Price$ 44.95 (AUD)
Plantronics has earned a reputation for making well designed, unique, high quality gaming headsets. For the original Xbox, their Halo themed headset was a fan favourite. We recently reviewed the GameCom X30 For Xbox 360 and were quite impressed with both its design and sound quality. Adding to the GameCom range, Plantronics has once again come to market with an interesting and unique design in the X20, but unlike other Plantronics products, it isn't quite up to scratch.
We tested the sound quality of the GameCom X20 over Xbox Live and found it to be a mixed bag. The microphone picked up too much ambient noise, so much so, that the television volume needed to be turned down considerably, making it difficult to hear the in-game audio. The brilliance of the X30 was the fact that you could have your television at a reasonable volume and the microphone would still only pick up your voice. As far as voice quality goes, the X20 does a good job of capturing clear and easy to understand audio but since the microphone is very sensitive, you may need to mute the headset when not talking.
Muting the microphone and controlling earpiece volume are both manipulated via an in-line controller. While adjusting volume is both simple and effective, muting the microphone doesn't work as well as it should with some minor noise leakage. This means that when you put the microphone on mute and then talk, your voice can still be faintly heard.
The design of the GameCom X20 is unique and, at first, a little confusing. It has a rubberised hook that sits behind the earlobe, keeping the earpiece in place. The earpiece has a foam cover which makes it rather large and we found it uncomfortable for extended use; however, this may not be the case for all users. The 2.5mm jack connects directly to the Xbox 360 controller but can also be used with the original Xbox by connecting it to the communicator controller dongle.
We were a little disappointed with the GameCom X20, especially since we loved the X30 so much. When playing Xbox Live you need a headset that will perform well with clear audio both from the earpiece and the microphone and in that regard, the X20 just didn't cut it.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
- Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes looks sharp, but will it survive the freemium transition?
- Nintendo's bringing Super Mario Run to Android in March, but Fire Emblem's coming first
- The Switch is a mix of Nintendo's past consoles
- Dead Rising 4 impressions: 'Tis the season to BBQ zombies with your flaming sword
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSupport Analyst / Production Support - InformaticaNSW
- TPSpatial Science OfficerQLD
- FTWeb Developer / Applications AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- CCTest ManagerWA
- CCProject Manager (Event Management)NSW
- CCSAP ISU Device Management ConsultantNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPInformation Security OfficerACT
- CCSenior System AdministratorVIC
- FTDevelopment Manager - SaaSQLD
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- FTSecurity Solutions Architect - Consultancy - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPLinux Desktop Support SpecialistWA
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- TPDatabase Integration SpecialistVIC
- FTOnline Solutions AnalystNSW
- FTFull Stack Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Enterprise Information SharingQLD
- TPInformation Management SpecialistVIC
- CCApplication Services Administrator (Linux)NSW
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer -NetApp & TSMNSW