PLUS Atlas AM2 4000
- Well priced
- Performance a little lacking
All up, this isn't the fastest machine we've seen, but it's well priced and well put-together. It would suit a gamer or video editor.
Price$ 3,399.00 (AUD)
AMD's new AM2 platform provides the foundation of this stealth designed system from Plus Corporation. It's powered by an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ CPU, which gives it enough grunt to run performance taxing rendering, encoding and gaming functions, and is paired with 2GB of DDR2 667MHz memory.
Plus Corporation has used an Antec P-180 case to house the components; it provides easy access to two hard drive bays, which can each hold a total of four drives. Only one drive is installed in this machine - a 300GB Maxtor Diamond Max 10 - so there is plenty of room for expansion, and both bays can be cooled by 12cm fans. The power supply is located in the base of the case, instead of the top, and is modular, so you can remove any unused power cables to reduce cable clutter. Plus Corporation has done an admiral job keeping the cables tied out of the way of the machine's airflow and has ensured the machine is well ventilated by enabling rear and top-mounted case fans to extract warm air.
The machine's performance was a bit below our expectations in World Bench 5, where it scored 113, and was also slightly slower in the MP3 encoding test, where it took 1m57s to convert 53 minutes worth of music to 192Kbps MP3s. Its hard disk performance, however, was stellar: the 300GB Maxtor copied data from one location on the drive to another at 27.25MB per second. For gaming, the machine comes with a GeForce 7900GT-based graphics card, and this scored 65 frames per second in Quake 4 with a resolution of 1280x1024 and 4x AA (antialiasing) enabled.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Dell retires Alienware's X51, the desktop that kicked off the tiny gaming PC revolution
- Reports: Surface all-in-one PC coming as soon as later this year
- Alienware's sleek backpack PC is a dorky, but practical solution to a big VR problem
- Alienware's tiny Alpha gaming PC gets bigger muscles... in the US
- Valve's Steam Machines aren't gaining steam, but they inspired wonderful creations
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCSenior Contracts Officer/Procurement -Governmen BckgrndNSW
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Configuration ManagerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE) 160721/AP/075Asia
- CCIOS DeveloperWA
- FTIT Helpdesk (Microsoft)NSW
- FTSystems Engineer | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearanceACT
- FTSystems Applications ManagerACT
- CCSenior Project OfficerACT
- FTSAS Support SpecialistNSW
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperNSW
- FTService Desk ManagerNSW
- CCChange CoordinatorNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/MySQL) 1600803/SA/255Asia
- CCSenior Agile Java/Spring/AngularJS EngineerNSW
- CCSAP MM / Ariba Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- FTPortfolio & Program Management ManagerVIC
- CCSolution Architect - IntegrationSA
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- FTProject CoordinatorQLD
- CCProject Engineer -VIC
- CCOracle Identity and Access Management Specialist-11Gr2 productsNSW