- Sound and Clarity, Buttons, Wind-Up USB Cable Storage, Headphone Jack
- Price, Installation Process
If you need a VoIP speakerphone, this is an excellent choice.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
The Polycom Communicator is a convenient VoIP speakerphone built specifically for Skype which provides full-duplex, two way telephone conversations via the Internet. While the design and performance are of a high calibre, it still barely justifies its hefty price tag.
The Communicator features an intelligent design that includes a fold out stand for optimum voice positioning. This stand doubles as a USB cable cover for storage. When opened, the rear of the Communicator is a handy wind up storage compartment for the USB cable. Of course, it's not as good as being wireless but this design adds a nice touch of convenience to the unit. A USB connection means the Communicator doesn't require any batteries or additional power sources to operate.
Unlike the NetComm V35 Portable USB Speaker Phone For VoIP, the Polycom Communicator has a number of buttons on the front of its casing including the Volume Up/Down, Mute, Skype launch and a Call key. The buttons are in the centre of the unit and are surrounded by a glowing LED ring which glows bright green when you are in the middle of a call. The buttons on the Communicator work in tandem with Skype which means you'll have to install the included drivers and software before you begin. Setting up the Polycom Communicator isn't as quick as we would have liked. New users are required to download software from a link provided on the installation disk and installation takes a few minutes.
The Polycom Communicator produces clear and crisp conversations with a minimum of echo, distortion and feedback. We were pleasantly surprised by its performance during testing and it can even be used as a speaker for other applications, such as music and games. We wouldn't recommend the latter if you want optimal sound quality (of course, nothing beats a good set of PC speakers), but it did perform better than we expected considering its prime use is a handsfree speakerphone. If you want privacy during calls, the Communicator also features a built-in stereo headset port.
Quality of service depends on a number of factors including your Internet connection and your PC's audio capabilities, but we were impressed with the Communicator. Our calls were as clear as a regular landline phone and our callers were unaware we were using VoIP. The Communicator includes 30 free minutes of SkypeOut calls and free Skype Voicemail for one month, as well as a carry case which makes it ideal for travelling.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple recalls AC wall plug adapters
- This Asus router is a powerful rebuttal to Google OnHub's stark simplicity
- Google releases stylish $199 Wi-Fi router meant to be shown off
- iiNet unveils Social Post at Perth Arena
- Telstra officially launches its national Wi-Fi network
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCSystem AdminVIC
- CCContract System Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/SA/881Asia
- CCContract System Analyst (SQL/.net) 160205/SA/561Asia
- FTApplications Architect/ Pre-sales (Microsoft Applications)WA
- CCIT Security EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Project ManagerSA
- CCSenior Network EngineersACT
- CCSAP Business Intelligence SpecialistQLD
- CCContract System Analyst (Linux/Security/LAN) 160211/SSA/521Asia
- CCSenior Business Analyst - AdventedgeVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital -PenrithNSW
- FTAnalyst: Business Intelligence & AnalyticsVIC
- FTPrincipal Business Analyst (SQL/SAS)NSW
- CCSenior Information Security SpecialistNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - CanberraNSW
- CCFront End Developer - MelbourneVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (SQL/Oracle/.Net) 160129/AP/vhs-bAsia
- CCOracle Business AnalystSA
- CCService EngineerVIC
- CCiOS Developer - New AppNSW
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | $60-90K package | ChatswoodNSW
- CCIteration Manager/ Sprint Manager- PenrithNSW
- FTTechnical Lead (C#/.Net)NSW