Pure EVOKE Flow digital radio
This stylish DAB+ compatible digital radio can connect wirelessly to your PC
- Wireless music streaming, great interface and screen, stylish design
- Fingerprint magnet, sound quality doesn't justify the price-tag
The Pure EVOKE Flow is a digital radio that adds extra multimedia features and integrated Wi-Fi networking to a well-designed piece of hardware. It’s expensive, but you get a stylish device for your dollar.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The Pure EVOKE Flow is a DAB+ compatible digital radio with integrated Wi-Fi networking, a battery port and auxiliary inputs. While it's not as full-featured as other digital radio players, its construction is second to none.
We were very impressed by the build quality of the Pure EVOKE Flow digital radio. You really need to see it to appreciate the finishing details. The piano black finish is glossy and rich, and the metal accents are finished in a dark shadow chrome. When you switch on the digital radio, a bright, super-crisp OLED screen fires up that puts the four line display of the OXX Classic DAB+ to shame. The Pure EVOKE Flow digital radio has a significantly higher resolution than the OXX Classic, and it displays additional information including the current volume, station name and scrolling track details.
It's simple to navigate the menu on the Pure EVOKE Flow digital radio. We had no difficulty viewing the different options and modes available using the bright high-resolution screen, and switching between FM, DAB and the wireless media streamer modes was easy.
Sound quality is good but not superb. The Pure EVOKE Flow has similar settings as the Pure ONE Classic for adjusting treble and bass to tailor the sound quality. In our tests we found the audio quality during DAB+ and streaming playback was good especially in a quiet environment, but the clarity was quickly lost if there was any background noise. Like other players of a similar size, the Pure EVOKE Flow has reasonable mid-range response so music and vocals often sound warm and rich. We like the way the Pure EVOKE Flow sounds, but it’s only at its best in a quiet environment.
The wireless features offered by the Pure EVOKE Flow digital radio are great. You can connect to a shared PC on your home wireless network and stream your downloaded music collection, and the Pure Lounge service is an added bonus you’ll only get with the company's digital radios. USing this feature you can browse recommended Internet radio stations and podcasts as well as download from Pure’s bank of sound effects — such as waves crashing on a beach, and birds chirping in a rainforest — which can be set as alarm sounds.
Pure has a range of optional accessories for the EVOKE Flow digital radio, ranging from a matching external speaker that increases the soundstage to an iPod dock and a remote control. These are all styled in the same manner as the radio itself, so if you’ve got some extra cash to burn you can upgrade the unit to suit your needs.
Let's make it clear — we don’t think that the Pure EVOKE Flow represents the same good value that we saw in the OXX Classic DAB+. That said, for the price you pay you get a piece of hardware that’s very stylist, as well as some well integrated features to make it a useful household addition.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
- How to customize the Apple TV (fourth-generation) home screen
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Sony cranks up optical disc storage to 3.3TB
- Hands-on with Surface Hub: Microsoft's huge tablet has some productivity holes
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- FTIT Infrastructure EngineerSA
- CCSenior Project Manager - TelecommunicationVIC
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCSenior Android DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- FTApplication AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer - TelecomVIC
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCData ModellerACT
- FTSenior Front End Developer (UX/UI)SA
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java Developer | EcommerceNSW
- CCActive Directory Consultant/ArchitectWA
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMwareACT
- CCMS Access DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160902/AP/625Asia
- CCTest Analyst - Data MigrationACT
- CCService Desk Consultant_Level 1ACT
- CCProject Manager - PCI DSS / IMACSQLD
- CCFinance Analyst (Junior)VIC
- CCSenior Change Analyst, WealthNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Internet/ Intranet) 160902/SA/222Asia
- CCBackfill Support Engineer (Renewable 12-month Contract)Asia