Pure EVOKE Flow digital radio
This stylish DAB+ compatible digital radio can connect wirelessly to your PC
- Wireless music streaming, great interface and screen, stylish design
- Fingerprint magnet, sound quality doesn't justify the price-tag
The Pure EVOKE Flow is a digital radio that adds extra multimedia features and integrated Wi-Fi networking to a well-designed piece of hardware. It’s expensive, but you get a stylish device for your dollar.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The Pure EVOKE Flow is a DAB+ compatible digital radio with integrated Wi-Fi networking, a battery port and auxiliary inputs. While it's not as full-featured as other digital radio players, its construction is second to none.
We were very impressed by the build quality of the Pure EVOKE Flow digital radio. You really need to see it to appreciate the finishing details. The piano black finish is glossy and rich, and the metal accents are finished in a dark shadow chrome. When you switch on the digital radio, a bright, super-crisp OLED screen fires up that puts the four line display of the OXX Classic DAB+ to shame. The Pure EVOKE Flow digital radio has a significantly higher resolution than the OXX Classic, and it displays additional information including the current volume, station name and scrolling track details.
It's simple to navigate the menu on the Pure EVOKE Flow digital radio. We had no difficulty viewing the different options and modes available using the bright high-resolution screen, and switching between FM, DAB and the wireless media streamer modes was easy.
Sound quality is good but not superb. The Pure EVOKE Flow has similar settings as the Pure ONE Classic for adjusting treble and bass to tailor the sound quality. In our tests we found the audio quality during DAB+ and streaming playback was good especially in a quiet environment, but the clarity was quickly lost if there was any background noise. Like other players of a similar size, the Pure EVOKE Flow has reasonable mid-range response so music and vocals often sound warm and rich. We like the way the Pure EVOKE Flow sounds, but it’s only at its best in a quiet environment.
The wireless features offered by the Pure EVOKE Flow digital radio are great. You can connect to a shared PC on your home wireless network and stream your downloaded music collection, and the Pure Lounge service is an added bonus you’ll only get with the company's digital radios. USing this feature you can browse recommended Internet radio stations and podcasts as well as download from Pure’s bank of sound effects — such as waves crashing on a beach, and birds chirping in a rainforest — which can be set as alarm sounds.
Pure has a range of optional accessories for the EVOKE Flow digital radio, ranging from a matching external speaker that increases the soundstage to an iPod dock and a remote control. These are all styled in the same manner as the radio itself, so if you’ve got some extra cash to burn you can upgrade the unit to suit your needs.
Let's make it clear — we don’t think that the Pure EVOKE Flow represents the same good value that we saw in the OXX Classic DAB+. That said, for the price you pay you get a piece of hardware that’s very stylist, as well as some well integrated features to make it a useful household addition.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the PC World newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTDigital Strategist - Global Consulting FirmACT
- FTOnline Solutions AnalystNSW
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- TPTechnical WriterQLD
- FTData Conversion LeadNSW
- FTSecurity Solutions Architect - Consultancy - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCProject Manager - Telco Networks EngineeringVIC
- FTSecurity Incident / SOC Analyst (Tier 1) - Permanent - North Ryde BasedNSW
- TPICT Contracts Compliance ManagerWA
- TPInsights ManagerWA
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- TPDesktop Support OfficerQLD
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectACT
- FTSolutions Software DeveloperVIC
- FTFull Stack PHP Developer - Focus on Front EndQLD
- FTLevel 2 Technical Support OfficerQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)QLD
- TPChange AnalystQLD
- TPSharePoint AnalystQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)VIC
- FTJunior / Entry Level IT role - Recent IT TAFE GraduateNSW
- TPFront End DeveloperWA
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer with Strong SQL DevNSW
- TPDigital Business Analyst | AgileQLD