Pure Digital Flip UltraHD pocket camcorder
Pure Digital's UltraHD packs more punch than the Flip Mino HD
- User-replaceable battery, HDMI, sharp image quality, good colour accuracy, 8GB internal storage
- USB connector may be problematic for some systems
The Flip UltraHD is a better performer than the MinoHD and we prefer it, thanks to its doubled storage capacity, sharper-coloured footage, better zoom, user-replaceable battery and HDMI-out port.
Price$ 279.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
The Flip UltraHD improves an already excellent line of pocket camcorders with a wider-angle lens, better low-light footage, more storage capacity, and an HDMI-out port.
Pure Digital has added another top-notch, high-def model to the mix. In fact, the brand-new Flip UltraHD might be the best HD pocket camcorder of the lot.
The Pure Digital Flip UltraHD is a bulkier, AA-battery-powered cousin to the tiny but impressive Flip MinoHD. Like its predecessor, the Flip UltraHD records smooth 720p video to MP4 format with the H.264 codec, and it includes FlipShare software for managing and editing clips, as well as for uploading them to YouTube. Flipping out the UltraHD's USB connector and plugging it into a Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Mac OS X 10.4 (or higher) computer launches FlipShare automatically.
According to our test results, this is Pure Digital's best pocket camcorder yet. The new Flip UltraHD has a wider-angle lens than the Flip MinoHD — though the Creative Vado HD remains the clear leader in the wide-angle realm.
Second, the Flip UltraHD captures more vibrant colours than the Flip MinoHD in well-lit settings. The yellow tint that was evident in some of the MinoHD's test shots seems to have vanished in the UltraHD's output.
The Flip UltraHD also improves on the Flip MinoHD's already strong low-light footage. In our test shots, the UltraHD showed slightly sharper images and better colour accuracy than the MinoHD. Like its Flip predecessors, the UltraHD captures smoother video than does its pocket-camcorder competition.
Another enhancement is the Flip UltraHD's zoom function. Though it's still a 2x digital zoom, it's easily the smoothest zoom we've ever seen on a pocket camcorder. The result: a sharp, noise-free image even when zoomed in to the max.
The Flip UltraHD adds a couple of new goodies to the mix, as well. The biggest addition is an HDMI-out port, which makes the UltraHD the first Flip camcorder model to offer that direct-to-HDTV-friendly feature. You'll have to supply your own HDMI cable, though: unlike Creative (with its Vado HD) and the Kodak (with its Zx1), Pure Digital doesn't include an HDMI cable in the box. You do, however, get two rechargeable AA nickel-metal hydride batteries, a wrist strap, and a soft carrying pouch.
The UltraHD packs double the internal storage of the Flip MinoHD, with an 8GB drive (versus 4GB); that's enough storage for two hours of high-def footage, as against the MinoHD's one hour cap. There's no expandable storage-card slot, however, as there is on the Creative Vado HD, the Kodak Zi6, the Kodak Zx1, and the Sony Webbie HD MHS-PM1.
Unlike the Flip MinoHD (but like older Flip models), the Flip UltraHD's flip-out USB connector is on its side. Depending on your computer's USB port arrangement, the fit may prove to be problematic; the rigid connector doesn't flex much, so you may have to unplug other USB devices to accommodate it.
Aside from its HDMI-out port, the UltraHD looks almost identical to older Flip Ultra models. It's not all-plastic, however: the front, bottom, and back of the unit are composed of rubberized plastic, while the sides and USB connector are made of metal.
The UltraHD has the same controls as older Flip Ultra models, with real buttons instead of the MinoHD's touch-sensitive divots. Under its 2in LCD, a four-way directional pad surrounds a big, red record button. Pressing left or right on the d-pad enables you to navigate through your recorded clips; pressing up or down operates the zoom. Dedicated play and delete buttons round out the controls. Like other Flips, it's an exercise in simplicity to operate.
The Flip UltraHD is a better performer than the MinoHD and we prefer it, thanks to its doubled storage capacity, sharper-coloured footage, better zoom, user-replaceable battery, and HDMI-out port.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- D-Link camera can be hijacked to become a spy-cam
- Nvidia's pricey Shield Android TV adds some value with 4K YouTube and Netflix HDR in US
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- Nearly 100 classic NFL games headed to YouTube
- Netflix isn’t big on virtual reality for the obvious reasons
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSenior IoT / M2M .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCCA Gen Model Management-Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Solaris, TTNNSW
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java Developer | EcommerceNSW
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- FTWeb Analytics SpecialistNSW
- FTAutomation Tester- C#, Selenium | Cloud Based Finance SolutionsNSW
- CCProject Manager - PCI DSS / IMACSQLD
- CCAsset Transfer Specialist | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCOracle/Java/Applications DeveloperACT
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/PHP) 160819/P/733Asia
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager (12-month renewable contract)Asia
- CCMessaging Services Systems AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Technology Specialist - Back-end Java/JEENSW
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160902/AP/625Asia
- CCSolution Architect, Funds Management, Part time roleNSW
- CCService Desk Consultant_Level 1ACT
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCSenior Security Specialist - McAfeeVIC