Pure ONE Classic DAB+ digital radio
A simple Pure digital radio set with good sound quality
- Well-rounded sound, simple and intuitive menus, sturdy design
- Expensive for a basic model, can't record
As a simple introduction to the glittery world of DAB+ digital radio, the Pure One Classic is a good product. Decent monaural sound, an easy interface and a great design combine to create a digital radio that is equally usable at home or while on the move.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
The Pure ONE Classic digital radio can receive signals on the DAB+ or FM spectrums and play them back through its full-range, 3in 1.8W speaker. A good design and a refined interface make the ONE Classic a benchmark in the entry-level digital radio market.
With a similar case to the Sangean DPR-99 DAB radio, the Pure ONE Classic conforms to the single-speaker transistor radio stereotype we’ve seen for decades. You’ve seen it all before: speaker on one half and controls on the other, with a telescopic aerial extending from the radio’s top. All this is standard stuff, but it was the ONE Classic’s rubberised satin finish that caught our attention. Thanks to this the digital radio is able to survive everyday wear and tear. As an added bonus the ONE Classic is available in black, white or pink for the fashion forward.
The chromed volume control, which also acts as a general function button, is surrounded by a semi-circle of additional buttons including station presets and an alarm shortcut. The device’s two-line LCD display is easy to read. The buttons are logically laid out and intuitive to use; a result of Pure’s experience in the digital radio market.
This means that the menu of the Pure ONE Classic is easy to navigate, with sub-menus organised in a well thought out order. We had no problems using the radio’s main features as well as adjusting treble and bass in more advanced menus; we think that the ONE Classic would be easy for anyone to use without prior instruction.
Sound quality from the speaker is acceptable for an entry-level model. Pure has used a 3in full-range driver, with bass and mid-range well represented. This gives the ONE Classic a warm and inviting character; we expected that such a small speaker would deliver a clinical and harsh sound. With the bass setting cranked to maximum the Pure ONE Classic's case vibrates noticeably — a sign that the speaker has plenty of power. Maximum volume levels aren’t particularly high, but there’s no distortion even at full power.
All the basic DAB+ features like pausing and rewinding are available, as is scrolling text. The Pure ONE Classic is certified as an EcoPlus product by Pure, signifying that its recycled packaging and low power consumption contribute to a small ecological footprint. We liked the alarm function, which offers different tones and a weekday setting.
A 3.5mm output allows headphones to be connected (or a larger sound system if you’re so inclined). For those who want an old-school radio at their picnic rather than an Apple iPod Touch, the radio is able to accept six C cell batteries or Pure’s proprietary ChargePak which offers 40 hours of playback time.
There’s nothing noticeably wrong with the Pure ONE Classic. As a simple digital radio it’s a great product. It's an attractive purchase for anyone who wants digital radio with a dash of extra functionality.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
- 2 Medion Akoya E4110 (MD 8239) desktop PC
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.5) 4G review
- 4 Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Series convertible laptop
- 5 Kogan Agora 4G review
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- PC market in 2014 a bit less dire than previously thought
- Cotap, a WhatsApp for the enterprise, links with cloud storage providers
- Apple loses bid for sales ban in Samsung patent case
- Broadcom wants to let 1,000 IoT devices bloom with $19.99 development kit
- Microsoft rolls out DLP to SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTMachine Learning | JAVA | San Fran based global Company | SydneyNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Executive - B2BNSW
- FTAccount Manager Programmatic Trading DeskNSW
- FTInformation Services ManagerNZ
- FTSearch Account ManagerNSW
- FTChief Information OfficerNSW
- CCL2 Technical Support Engineer - RightFax/MessagingVIC