- 32-hour battery life, removable battery, included AC and in-car chargers, speedy performance, non-slip back
- No included suction cap to stick to a window
The BT-Q818 boasts a fantastic battery life and speedy GPS performance, so it's an ideal receiver for the relatively inexpensive asking price.
Price$ 120.00 (AUD)
Boasting 32 channels and 32 hours of continuous use from a single charge, QStarz BT-Q818 is a simple but extremely effective GPS receiver. Although it lacks a suction cup to mount to a window, it performs reliably well and is quick to gain a GPS fix.
Design wise, the BT-Q818 is a compact but largely unremarkable looking unit. It has just a single switch to power on as well as a standard mini-USB port for charging. The anti-slip rubber backing on the rear is a nice touch and means you should be able to rest the unit on the dashboard in your car, for example. A suction cap to stick to a window would have been a nice inclusion though.
The BT-Q818 strays away from the popular SiRF Star III GPS receiver and instead uses an MTK GPS module. It's the first time we've reviewed a device that uses this chipset and we were very pleased with the results, managing to lock onto a GPS signal in just under a minute, speedier than the far more expensive LD-4W Bluetooth GPS Module.
We tested the receiver with a HP iPAQ 112 Classic PDA running the latest CoPilot Live 7 GPS software, but the BT-Q818 works with most Bluetooth mobile phones and PDAs. Most impressive was the accuracy of this unit; even a slight movement of the receiver managed to update the GPS coordinates.
Although the BT-Q818 has 32 channels, this isn't really necessary as there are only 24 GPS satellites in total and you can only connect up to 12 at one time. Regardless, we found the overall performance of this unit a slight improvement on the LD-4W Bluetooth GPS Module.
Pairing is as simple as turning the unit on, whereby it automatically enters pairing mode. Three LED indicators on the front signal battery life, Bluetooth connectivity and GPS reception.
QStarz claims the BT-Q818 can provide a whopping 32 hours of operating time from one full three-hour charge and the Lithium Ion battery is removable. Conveniently, if you turn your phone or PDA off, the BT-Q818 automatically enters "sleeping mode", saving power. When you switch your phone or PDA back on again, the unit will automatically switch back into full power mode and detect a GPS signal again.
Both in-car AC chargers are bundled in the sales package.
Join the PC World newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
- Google's Pixel Launcher leak hints at the demise of the Nexus brand
- It's official: iOS 10 launches with huge improvements to iMessage, Apple Music, Siri, and more
- Samsung is prepping a software update to cap Note7 charging to 60 percent
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPTechnical Support Resource-Skype for BusinessVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)NSW
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerNSW
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Project Manager - ReinsuranceNSW
- TPSenior Service Desk AnalystNSW
- FTDeveloper - Java/J2EEQLD
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Cyber SecurityACT
- FTIT Project Coordinator - Mascot/AlexandriaNSW
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- FTSenior IT Business Analyst - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)QLD
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSupport Analyst / Production Support - InformaticaNSW
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- FTAnalyst Programmer (Natural/Adabas)SA
- FTFull Stack Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - Technical BackgroundQLD
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- TPTechnical Report EditorQLD
- CCLevel 2 IT Service DeskQLD