Raketu Universal Messaging Client
- Universal IM client works well, call quality was good
- Cluttered; unintuitive interface; offers too many features, and not all work well
You're probably well set up already with your RSS feeds, podcasts, Internet phone calls, and instant messaging on major services like Skype and Trillian or AIM. So why use Raketu? I can't think of a good reason.
It's an Internet phone. No, it's an instant message service. No, it's IPTV. Wait, it's a news feed. Actually, Raketu combines all of the above, and then some. As a software client and a Web-based service, Raketu wants to be your communications, entertainment, and information hub. While that sounds great, Raketu overwhelms you with features, some of which just don't work.
After downloading and installing the Raketu client, we weren't sure where to start -- and the cluttered, just plain ugly interface didn't help. Our eyes strained to adapt to its reverse-type style (white text on a black background), and the tiny, unintuitive icons were far from ideal.
We decided to check out the application's messaging features, which are supposed to let you phone other Raketu users on their computers, call landline or mobile numbers (for a fee), send e-mail and instant messages, and whisk off SMS messages.
We encountered several issues from the start; the first appeared while we were trying to make PC-to-PC calls. To begin with, adding one Raketu contact -- a seemingly simple task -- took lots of clicking around. And once we had successfully added our contact, we appeared offline to each other, despite being signed in to Raketu. The company concluded that the problem stemmed from our contacts ISP (which was located overseas). At press time, the firm was investigating further, and said that it was planning a workaround to fix this issue. In the meanwhile, our problem with the contact remained.
Other Raketu contacts appeared online without a hitch, though, and call quality was impressive: our voices came through loud and clear (no echoes), and we noted just one instance of voice-packet breakdown, when a cluster of words sounded slightly distorted.
Beyond that, however, we encountered more troubles: the software initially refused to allow us to make calls to landlines and to mobile phones. The company then e-mailed us a fix, which eventually resolved the issue.
Despite the unsexy interface, the universal IM feature worked well. It lets you ping your buddies on AIM, Google, ICQ, Jabber, MSN, Skype and Yahoo; you enter your screen name and password, and Raketu efficiently imports your IM contacts from your contact lists. You can also call your Skype contacts from within Raketu. (Raketu does not offer video calls, but the firm plans to add that feature in an upcoming release.)
The messaging features are just the tip of the iceberg. You can also customise news feeds from the BBC, CBC, The New York Times, and other news sites; set up podcasts; get weather, stock, and flight info; and view IPTV and Video on Demand. RakWeb, the Web-based piece of the pie, includes many of the same features as the software client: It lets PC and smartphone users make calls, send e-mail and text messages, and watch TV. We haven't even mentioned Raketu's media player (with a karaoke button) or its slideshow viewer. But these features just feel like overkill.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Google Maps for Android adds 'OK Google' voice, navigation commands and other search tricks
- NBN ditches Optus HFC for FTTdp
- Analysts laud and lance new Microsoft browser armor
- Apple's Siri-powered Amazon Echo rival reportedly hits the prototype phase
- Hackers have a treasure trove of data with the Yahoo breach
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- CCAcquisition Marketing Executive - B2BNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCContract Web Developer (160915/WD/vmp)Asia
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- CCeCommerce Project ManagerNSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- CCDigital Solutions ManagerNSW