Razer Barracuda HP-1 Gaming Headphones
- Eight drivers for surround sound, in-line volume controls, removable ear-cup pads, detachable microphone
- Tinny high notes
The Razer Barracuda HP-1 gaming headphones are a solid surround sound option for PC gaming. The sound quality is fairly good and the overall experience of the eight drivers was, if nothing else, a lot of fun.
Price$ 129.99 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
Razer is already well known for its gaming mice, but can now be recognised for its gaming headphones too, thanks to the Razor Barracuda HP-1. With soft, padded ear-cups and a discreet, detachable microphone, the Barracuda HP-1 gaming headphones provide immersive surround sound in comfort. An in-line remote allows for instant volume control, and the use of eight speaker drivers gives gamers another dimension to their gaming experience.
The connection used by the Barracuda HP-1 headphones looks very similar to a DVI connector and is actually designed to connect to Razer's Barracuda AC-1 Gaming Audio Card, which is used in conjunction with the HP-1 for improved performance. We tested the Barracuda HP-1 without the AC-1 Gaming Audio Card, instead using the onboard audio of our Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard via the supplied 6-channel analogue breakout cable, which uses standard 3.5mm jacks.
Setting up the headphones is quite simple. The breakout cable has three 3.5mm jacks for 6-channels and a microphone jack. It also has a USB connector, which supplies power to the headphones. The in-line remote allows the volume to be adjusted for front, rear, centre and bass individually, as well as the master volume. Also found on the in-line remote is an on/off switch, which has three settings. The third setting simply turns the headphones on, but also sets ablaze the blue LED Razor logos on either ear-cup and on the remote itself.
Individually adjusting the volume for each channel is something we found very handy, giving greater control over the audio environment. The drivers were able produce audio much louder than we were comfortable listening to, without distorting at all. The sound quality is good, but not outstanding. High tones had a slightly hollow feel with a very subtle tinny twang. The bass was more than enough for gaming, rumbling noticeably on deep notes, but not quite good enough to be our first choice when listening to bass-heavy music. Surround sound tests showed the headphones are capable of producing a clear directional sound from anywhere in a spherical sound-scape, including from above and below the point of reference, which makes 3D gaming environments considerably more immersive.
The head strap is self-adjusting and fits comfortably. The microphone is fairly small, staying well out of the way and can be easily removed if it becomes annoying. Despite its small size, the microphone delivers clear audio and has built-in noise reduction to improve the sound quality. The ear-cup pads are removable, which can be a blessing when trying to clean them after a long hot gaming session.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- First look: Nuheara IQbuds smart Bluetooth ear buds do more than just music
- Convoy International restructures business focus
- Beats Solo2 headphones go wireless for $399
- Astro A38 review: A staggering price to pay for convenience
- Parrot's Zik 2.0 headphones include an accelerometer and plenty of noise cancelling
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCOpen_2pm_29/8_Teradata Database AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Project Manager - TelecommunicationVIC
- FTProject Administrator (Agile)WA
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- FTCapacity PlannerNSW
- CCProject Resource SpecialistVIC
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Big Data AnalyticsNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160818/P/265Asia
- FTSenior Front End Developer (UX/UI)SA
- CCProject Coordinator - Baseline SecurityVIC
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTTandem/NonStop Technical ConsultantWA
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCDelivery Manager - Change & RleaseACT
- CCSenior Server and Storage Support EngineerNSW
- CCJunior SQL DBA - Entry LevelVIC
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectACT
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Process Analyst - WealthVIC
- CCInfrastructure Designer - AWSNSW
- CCUNIX/ LINUX SERVER ENGINEERVIC
- FTSenior IoT / M2M .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCChange Communications ManagerNSW
- CCStrategic Planning OfficerACT