Revo Blok iPod dock
This stylish iPod dock has good sound quality and a great design
- Great design and build quality, good sound quality, great remote control
- Not officially compatible with iPhone
The Revo Blok is a stylish iPod dock with a great design and good speakers. If you're looking for an attractive iPod speaker for your bedroom or living room, the Revo Blok is hard to pass up.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
The Revo Blok iPod dock has full-range stereo speakers that output a smooth and pleasant sound which isn't especially clear in treble but has detailed and rich mid-range and bass. The model we tested had a beautiful woodgrain finish and exacting build quality.
We think it's been a great year for product designs — we've seen award-winning devices like the Creative Aurvana Air, as well as well-designed local products like the OXX Digital Classic DAB+ digital radio. The Revo Blok is another great example of modern design: its woodgrain finish is smooth to the touch yet full of detail. Dark silver plastic accents break up the design, with the exposed 4.5in speaker drivers finished in charcoal grey. With the iPod dock, volume dial and power button mounted on the top of the unit the Revo Blok is easy to operate; just plug your iPod in, hit the power button and music starts playing. All features can be accessed through the brilliant rotary volume control.
There's really not much to talk about apart from the Revo Blok's sound quality — it's a very simple unit. It doesn't officially support the iPhone, but our test unit charged fine and we didn't have any problems playing audio. Every model of dock-connecting iPod is supported.
We tested the system by playing a few Apple Lossless audio files through an iPhone, as well as some FLAC and MP3 audio from a Dell Inspiron Mini 9 netbook through the Blok's auxiliary 3.5mm connector. What quickly became apparent is the Revo Blok's ability to emit room-filling sound with a pleasant timbre. The 4.5in drivers do not extend particularly high into treble frequencies and the result is a system that can sound 'capped', with higher frequencies occasionally distant and muted. This is tempered by the Blok's mid-range performance, however. There was a great amount of detail in the male vocals and acoustic guitar we listened to.
The rear-firing bass port works best when the iPod dock is placed within a foot of a wall, and if you've got it set up in the right location the end result is impressive. The bass that the Revo Blok produces doesn't extend very deep, but it is pronounced without becoming boomy or expansive. It adds a definite extra element compared to similar sized iPod docks such as the Kogan Digital Radio, which sometimes sound tinny.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the PC World newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Judge paves the way for British hacker's extradition to US
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPSolution Architect - Real-Time Tracking SystemVIC
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW
- FTHR Payroll ConsultantQLD
- TPTechnical WriterQLD
- CCSecurity AnalystACT
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- FTFull Stack Web Developer .NET or JAVANSW
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- CCArcSight Security Engineer - Contract - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- TPICT Contracts Compliance ManagerWA
- TPLead Change Manager - ERPVIC
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerNSW
- FTFull Stack Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - Tivoli Storage SpecialistNSW
- CCProject Manager (Event Management)NSW
- CCService ManagerACT
- TPAnalyst Workplace SupportVIC
- TPAgile Project Manager. Sharepoint / PeoplesoftNSW
- FTSystem EngineerVIC
- CCProject Support SpecialistVIC
- FTDigital Sales Account Manager - Global BrandNSW
- CCTechnical Support AnalystACT
- TPDatabase Integration SpecialistVIC