Ricoh Australia Aficio SP C222DN
- Automatic duplexing
- Cheap-feeling construction, expensive toner
Price$ 1,025.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Ricoh's Aficio SP C222DN, the company's latest foray into lower-cost colour laser printers, demonstrates some of the challenges of price cutting. This mid-priced printer performs adequately but could use some refinement.
The problems begin with the installation. The poster-size guide for physical setup is wordless but pretty clear. It says to proceed to the "Software Installation Guide for Network Connection" for further instructions, but those are woefully inadequate, missing steps and key details. Worse, a document covering USB installation is available only on the included CD, making it less than readily available. The rest of the documentation, available in both HTML and PDF, is good.
The design also flummoxed us at various points. The control panel's few buttons perform some functions through obscure key combinations, and the printer has no LCD to spell them out for you. The foldout front panel lacks handles and feels flimsy, as does the 250-sheet main input tray. Extending the tray for legal-size paper involves a finicky pinch-and-pull process; the handle for pulling out the tray is in the same area as the manual-feed slot, too, which can be confusing. The top-exiting, 150-sheet output tray is straightforward, at least. An optional 500-sheet input tray is available. Automatic duplexing is standard, which is nice.
In our tests text documents ambled out at a pace of 17.4 pages per minute (ppm) and graphics pieces output at 2.4 ppm (at best). Text looked dark and precise; but graphics we printed on plain paper suffered from a slightly faded look, as well as graininess or moire patterns. Glossy laser paper only partially mitigated the flaws.
Because the SP C222DN's toner capacities are low, its consumables costs are high. The machine ships with 1000-page black, cyan, magenta, and yellow cartridges. The standard-size cartridges last for 2000 pages each and cost $79 for black (3.9 cents per page) and $129 for each colour (6 cents per color, per page). The cartridges are easy to lift in and out of their respective slots inside the machine, but we didn't like how the transfer belt lies exposed during the process.
Ricoh's Aficio SP C222DN is targeted at small offices or workgroups, but its spotty installation documentation and subpar design elements miss the mark. Such users deserve a more friendly experience than this printer offers.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Never run out of printer ink with HP Instant Ink
- HP to launch 3D printers this year
- This 3D printer can rival standard manufacturing on the factory floor
- HP's new printers move the paper not the ink
- With this new 3D printing technique, robots can 'practically walk right out of the printer'
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSr System AnalystACT
- FTWeb DeveloperSA
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Oracle Exadata/ExalogicVIC
- CCJava Developer- 12 month contractNSW
- CCBusiness Project ManagerAsia
- FTSecurity Accreditation - IT Security AnalystACT
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC
- CCOperational Team LeadVIC
- CCDigital Producer (Part Time 3 Days Per Week)NSW
- CCBusiness Analyst- TreasuryNSW
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCBPM ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Project Manager, SoftwareNSW
- FTSenior Enterprise Architect - eCommerceVIC
- FTPMO AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital/Financial ServicesNSW
- FTAGILE Training Manager/CoachNSW
- FTTechnology Risk ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Middleware Lead Shared Services (Support and EngineeringVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - ICT SecurityNSW
- FTJunior Inside Sales Rep | National systems integrator & MSP | $60-70K+NSW
- FTService Coordinator/Scheduler | IT Managed Service ProviderVIC
- CCScrum MasterNSW