Ricoh Australia Vivitar DVR-390H
- Clunky OS, poor recorded video quality
We wanted so much to like the DVR-390H, but can't help feeling it's a jack of all trades and master of none.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
The DVR-390H is a portable device with a 20GB hard disk and large (3.6") colour LCD that connects to a PC using USB 2.0. It can operate as a still camera, video camera, MP3 and video player, as well as a direct TV/video and voice/audio recorder, digital photo frame plus regular portable hard disk.
It takes three megapixel photos at resolutions up to 2048 x 1536 in JPG format. It uses a detachable, 270 degree fixed-focus swivel lens. There's a 10 second delay timer, built-in flash and red-eye reduction, white balance options and more.
The DVR-390H can make camcorder-style or direct-from-TV video recordings (the latter uses the bundled AV cradle). Videos can be captured at either 320 x 240 (for device playback) or 640 x 480 pixels (for TV output playback) with MPEG-4 compression. Oddly, the file format for this is ASF. For audio, the Vivitar records in uncompressed PCM.
The DVR-390H has an integrated SD card reader, mono speaker and special connection for use with the supplied lapel microphone. Bundled software includes PhotoSuite, WinDVD Creator and muvee autoProducer.
When we tested it, the OS of the device was clunky and navigation isn't as easy as it should be. The navigation joystick felt like it could break off, and the camera attachment was a little flimsy. Video playback was mostly OK, but was prone to occasional skipping, and the display had a limited viewable angle.
Camcorder-style recorded video suffered from intermittent vertical banding and video output didn't seem to take overscan into account, causing some on-screen graphics such as menus to go over the edges.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - Wealth AdviceNSW
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorACT
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- CCStorage System EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- FTTelecommunications Services Manager - Voice/Data/UCQLD
- TPSolution Architect - Office 365QLD
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - NetApp SpecialistNSW
- CCFinancial Business AnalystACT
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- FTJava Developer - Fixed Term ContractQLD
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- CCTelecommunication Operations SpecialistTAS
- FTHR Payroll ConsultantQLD
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Internet of ThingsNSW
- FTSenior Database AdministratorVIC
- TPMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerSA
- CCSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- FTCitrix EngineerNSW
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- CCProject Manager - Telco Networks EngineeringVIC
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW