Roxio Creator 2010
Roxio's Creator Suite for optical disc burning lets you produce professional-looking disc menus, labels, and the like without a lot of artistic effort
- Comprehensive abilities, professional templates and content
- Pricey, complex
In a world where many free programs can handle basic burning tasks and even basic audio video chores, you should spend your money carefully on software that makes video editing, disc authoring, and possibly Blu-ray playback easy. Roxio Creator 2010 shines in those areas, but so do a host of less expensive individual competitors.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
The latest upgrade to Roxio's comprehensive disc-burning suite introduces some welcome improvements, but Roxio Creator 2010 costs significantly more than competing packages.
Roxio's Creator Suite for optical disc burning lets you produce professional-looking disc menus, labels, and the like without a lot of artistic effort. Like previous iterations, the latest version, Roxio Creator 2010, does more than just burn discs. And Creator 2010 improves on its predecessor's interface and feature set, though the advances may not justify the upgrade cost for current users.
When augmented with the separately sold Blu-ray plug-ins (£14), Roxio Creator 2010 is as comprehensive a burning suite as you can find. It covers all aspects of video/audio capture and editing, disc authoring, and everything else CD\DVD\BD0-related.
The most noticeable change to Roxio Creator 2010 is the launch centre's new look. Its layout closely resembles that of Creator 2009, but a new Learning Center option hosts tutorial videos covering some of the more-complex tasks that Creator handles. The rest of the suite presents much the same appearance and workflow as Creator 2009.
One major convenience of Roxio Creator 2010 is the new smart encoding feature. The software now reencodes only the portions of a video that you've edited and changed. This approach makes encoding much faster and may help preserve image quality.
All versions of Roxio Creator 2010 can save internet audio and video, back up AVCHD video to DVD and Blu-ray, perform BD-RE editing on disc, and support nVidia CUDA and ATI Stream video conversion acceleration. The £69 Creator 2010 Pro includes the Blu-ray authoring plug-ins and adds several bundled applications, including LightZone - a tantalising tool that corrects lighting problems in digital images.
If you have the most recent version of Creator, the £34 upgrade price might be too high. If you're coming from an older version, the new features may be more appealing. And if you want Blu-ray playback, count on paying another £19 for Roxio CinePlayer BD. The suite costs significantly more than the equally powerful Nero 9; and even Cyberlink DVD Suite 7 Ultra with Blu-ray playback is competitive, though the plug-ins included with Roxio Creator 2010 Pro help make it good value.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- ACCC to scrutinise impact of NBN, 5G on telco competition
- Telstra increases NBN market share
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- Microsoft Word gains powerful Editor, Researcher tools to help you write more good
- Aussie regulator calls for greater broadband speed transparency
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCContracts and Procurement SpecialistACT
- CCJunior SQL DBA - Entry LevelVIC
- CCWebSphere Message BrokerACT
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- CCSecurity ArchitectACT
- FTSenior Test Analyst | End to End TestingNSW
- CCPortfolio Delivery ManagerACT
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTTest EngineerNSW
- CCIT Assistant (Infrastructure/PC LAN Support) 160825/ITA/864Asia
- CCSr. Project Manager- Infrastructure- Data Centre,VirtualizationNSW
- CCSenior Embedded Software EngineerWA
- CCSenior Security Specialist - McAfeeVIC
- CCContract Senior Web Developer (PHP/Drupal/JAVA) 160808/SWD/vtdAsia
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTApplication AdministratorACT
- CCBusiness Analyst / SalesforceNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Contact CentresNSW
- CCLean Six Sigma Project ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java Developer | EcommerceNSW
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCEnterprise Architect ? Big Data AnalyticsNSW
- CCProject Manager - Operational TechnologyQLD