Sage Plc Simply Accounting Basic
Added capabilities make this version a worthwhile upgrade for existing Simply Basic users
- Integration with Microsoft Office, powerful tools, Very inexpensive
- None to speak of
If you have a small business and are looking for an accounting solution, this package packs a punch.
Price$ 65.00 (AUD)
Don't be fooled by the price tag on the 2006 version of Simply Accounting Basic. This updated small-business accounting application from Sage Software (formerly Best Software) offers a lot more bang for your bookkeeping buck than its chief rivals do.
The new version makes it easier to design custom accounting forms and features better integration with Microsoft Office than previous versions. It has strong capabilities for such an inexpensive program, including support for dual currencies--useful in import/export businesses.
The Basic version lets you synchronize customer and vendor records with Microsoft Outlook contacts, formerly possible only with the Pro version. You can also use MS Word templates to prepare customer form letters, and you can create financial reports in MS Excel. Simply Basic stores accounting data in an MS Access database. The application has most but not all of the MS Office integration smarts found in Microsoft Office Small Business Accounting 2006, so it's a credible alternative with a much lower price.
Simply Accounting Basic's redesigned Home Window is easier to use than the previous version's, with better menus for access to the program's general ledger, customer, vendor, employee, inventory, and project-tracking capabilities.
An improved wizard provides more help with setting up a new company. Checks are easier to align for printing. There's even a little eye candy: You can now display JPG and GIF images of your products and services.
A larger payroll-check window enhances your view of income and deduction fields. If you use Simply Basic to prepare payroll, for efficiency's sake you should consider subscribing to the optional payroll tax table update.
The shipping copy of Simply Accounting Basic 13 that we reviewed is a single-user application developed to handle entry-level business accounting needs. Sage also offers more-powerful (and pricier) versions of Simply Accounting with multiuser capabilities, but we didn't review these packages.
If you're currently using a spreadsheet (such as Excel) or a personal finance application (such as Quicken) to track business finances, you'll discover that Simply Accounting Basic represents a logical step up from what you work with now. Its improved import/export wizard simplifies importing data from Excel, Quicken, QuickBooks, and MYOB.
Simply Accounting Basic will undoubtedly attract the bargain-hunting bean counters who tend to each bean vigilantly. Its features compare most closely with those of Intuit's QuickBooks Pro edition, which costs four times as much as Simply Basic. QuickBooks' entry-level Simple Start costs twice as much and delivers far less accounting power.
The added capabilities make this version a worthwhile upgrade for existing Simply Basic users, while the low price will tempt some Intuit users to switch allegiance.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
- Google lets users get social with Maps
- Microsoft unveils a bonanza of security capabilities
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW
- TPProject ManagerOther
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerQLD
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- CCLevel 1/2 SAP Support AnalystACT
- FTJava Developer/IntegratorACT
- FTIT Information Security AdvisorNSW
- FTOnline Solutions AnalystNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)WA
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTPMO Specialist - PermanentACT
- TPProject Support OfficerQLD
- TPSenior IT Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)VIC
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer - NetApp SpecialistNSW
- TPSpatial Science OfficerQLD
- CCSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- CCPerformance Test AnalystQLD
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- CCTelecommunication Operations SpecialistTAS
- FTSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- TPInstructional Designer | DETQLD
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW