Samsung Galaxy 551 Android phone (preview)
Samsung Galaxy 551: A mid-range Android smartphone that may be an ideal first step into the world of Android
- Full QWERTY keyboard
- Reasonable outright price
- Most functions and features of Android
- Limited internal memory
- No Flash support or live wallpapers
- Modest processor
The Samsung Galaxy 551 combines a full QWERTY keyboard and Google's Android operating system at a competitive price.
Price$ 480.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
Android smartphones with physical QWERTY keyboards are a rarity compared to their touchscreen keyboard counterparts, but Samsung is keen on offering this feature without breaking the bank. Its Galaxy 551, available exclusively through Telstra, is a mid-range Android phone targeted at consumers on a budget.
Although Samsung's flagship Galaxy S II might steal all the headlines this year, the company has clearly not neglected its other Galaxy phones. In addition to the Galaxy Ace, a mid-range Android phone without a QWERTY keyboard, the Galaxy 551 is the third Galaxy-branded phone Samsung has launched this year.
Like the Galaxy Ace, the Galaxy 551 aims to bring all the features and functions of Android to a compact handset at an affordable price. The Galaxy 551 runs the 2.2 'Froyo' version of Google's Android operating system, has a 3.2in capacitive touchscreen and features the now standard connectivity set of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and 3G. The Samsung Galaxy 551 is a Telstra-exclusive, so it will obviously work on Telstra's 850MHz Next G network.
The Samsung Galaxy 551's 3.2in touchscreen may pose an issue; we think it's a little small. Based on our experience, the comfortable medium with Android phones seems to be 3.5in. The Galaxy 551 also has limited internal memory (160MB) and a modest 667MHz processor — a significant downgrade from the now standard 1GHz processors in more expensive Android phones. We'll be keen to see if the slower processor impacts on performance during day-to-day use — the fact that the Galaxy 551 doesn't support Flash video or live wallpapers suggests performance shouldn't be an issue due to the reduced workload.
The Galaxy 551 also includes Samsung's TouchWiz UI overlay. It offers seven customisable home screens for widgets and shortcuts, a built-in task manager, and a number of pre-loaded apps. Samsung's Social Hub app — a service that combines social networking, contacts, calendars and messaging activity in a single inbox — is not included.
The Samsung Galaxy 551 is available through Telstra stores or online for $480 outright or $0 upfront on Telstra's $59 Freedom Connect plan. The plan includes $550 worth of calls, unlimited text messages and 1.5GB of data per month.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony returns to profit, cuts full-year loss forecast
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCBI-Business Intelligence Technical LeadNSW
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCData Analyst - multiples roles - EAM experience requiredNSW
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - SIEMVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia
- FTCapacity PlannerNSW
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSolutions Architect - Office 365/Sharepoint/Project OnlineQLD
- CCWeb Content SpecialistNSW
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- CCInfra & Application Specialist/ Devops SpecialistNSW
- FTJava Tech Lead - Full StackNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- FTNational ICT Senior Technical Support EngineerACT
- CCProgram SchedulerVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst/Designer, Funds ManagementNSW
- CCSenior Project Specialist - Network IPVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTBack End Developer - Java, Spring, RESTNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Data Management/Web) 160818/SA/602Asia
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- CCSoftware test engineer - Telecom/NetworkACT
- FTIT Release CoordinatorWA