Samsung Galaxy Pro Android phone (preview)
Samsung Galaxy Pro preview: Samsung targets business professionals with the BlackBerry-like Galaxy Pro Android smartphone
- Full QWERTY keyboard
- Capacitive touchscreen
- 512MB RAM
- Small 2.8in touchscreen
- No word on 2.3 Gingerbread Android update
The Samsung Galaxy Pro is targeted at business professionals who prefer typing on a keyboard rather than a touchscreen, but would still like a touchscreen for general input.
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
Samsung is expanding its popular Galaxy smartphone range, and the latest addition is the Android-based Galaxy Pro. Unlike most other Android smartphones, the Galaxy Pro has a BlackBerry-style keyboard in a candy bar design.
Described by Samsung as "the perfect business partner", the Samsung Galaxy Pro is targeted at business professionals who prefer typing on a keyboard rather than a touchscreen, but would still like a touchscreen for general input. The Galaxy Pro therefore combines both a 2.8in capacitive touchscreen, and a full QWERTY keyboard.
Although it has a very small display when compared to the likes of the iPhone 4 and Samsung's own Galaxy S and Galaxy S II smartphones, the Galaxy Pro has reasonable specifications. It is powered by an 800MHz processor, has a hefty 512MB of RAM, 2GB of internal memory, and is equipped with Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and GPS. There is also a microSD card slot for extra storage.
The Samsung Galaxy Pro runs the 2.2 Froyo version of Google's Android operating system; Samsung hasn't stated if it will be upgradeable to the latest 2.3 Gingerbread version. Gingerbread adds a revamped keyboard, better copy and paste, improved power management, and a slicker user interface as advantages over earlier Android versions.
Samsung hasn't announced an Australian release date or pricing details, but the Galaxy Pro is expected down under in the first half of 2011.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony returns to profit, cuts full-year loss forecast
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCCommVault Backp EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Frontend DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCApplication Migration ArchitectACT
- CCSenior Project Manager - HealthcareVIC
- CCContract Programmer (Crystal Report/HTML/SQL) 160428/P/244Asia
- FTSupplier Relationship ManagerVIC
- FTManager; Enterprise ArchitectureNSW
- FTSenior Application SpecialistACT
- FTTechnical/Team Lead - .NetNSW
- FTSQL DeveloperNSW
- CCEnterprise Architect (Security)NSW
- FTSoftware (.Net) DeveloperACT
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- CCSystems TrainerVIC
- CCContract Snr IT Assistant (IT Operation/UNIX) 160504/SITA/982Asia
- CCAWS ArchitectNSW
- CCBusiness Data AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Storage Systems EngineerACT
- FTSenior Business Intelligence ManagerNSW
- CCRemedy AdministratorNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160422/AP/544Asia
- CCTechnical ExpertVIC
- CCIT Solution Architect - ApplicationsNSW
- CCProject ManagerQLD