The Samsung HT-BD2E is an 800 Watt home theatre system with a built-in Blu-ray disc player, good sound quality and plenty of power.
- Rich and balanced sound, involving surround effects, powerful
- No wireless rear speakers, no BD-Live, no USB connectivity
This basic home theatre package packs a 5.1 channel amplifier into a Blu-ray player. Simply plug in a flat screen television and you’re ready to go.
Price$ 1,099.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 1 store)
- HT-H4500 5.1 Channel Blu-ray Home Theatre Syste... 278.00
The Samsung HT-BD2E is a powerful home theatre system with a built-in Blu-ray disc player. It doesn’t offer all the features of the Panasonic SC-BT105 (which has an integrated iPod dock) or the LG HT903WA (with its wireless rear speakers), but whatever the Samsung HT-BD2E does, it does well.
The Samsung HT-BD2E is quite a stylish home theatre system, with metal speaker grills and a very solid feel. Despite being only satellite-sized, the speakers are heavy and feel well built — a pleasant surprise given the cheap feel of some systems. The combination amplifier/Blu-ray disc player is quite large; its prominent lip makes it seem like a mutant, over-sized laptop.
The Blu-ray disc playing component of the Samsung HT-BD2E system is only compatible with Profile 1.0, which means it won’t be able to access any of the Profile 1.1 or 2.0 features of retail Blu-ray discs — no online interactive content can be accessed. We’ve made our thoughts clear on BD-Live and interactive functionality before so we won’t digress here. If you really, really want BD-Live, this system isn’t for you. If you don’t care, read on.
Connectivity for external audio is acceptable. There are two optical digital audio ports — so you can connect your television for 5.1 surround sound on high-definition digital channels — and a small range of analog inputs (you could use these for connecting a VCR, for example, or even attach an MP3 player with the correct adapter).
Video quality from the Samsung HT-BD2E home theatre system’s HDMI output is crystal clear. We tested it on a Sony KDL55XBR45 and found the image quality no different to any of the other Blu-ray disc players we have recently tested — such as the LG BD300, Panasonic DMP-BD35 and Sony BDP-S350. There’s no USB connectivity for playing videos off an external flash drive — you’re stuck with playing DVDs or Blu-ray discs.
The sound that the Samsung HT-BD2E produces is impressive for a system of its size and price. Playing the Pearl Harbour Blu-ray disc, we were pleased with the balanced and immersive nature of the audio. Bass from the subwoofer was strong and loud, if not very deep, while mid-range and treble were acceptable. The system is powerful, too — a reasonable listening volume is easily attained and there’s no distortion until painfully loud volumes.
It’s easy to set up as well, if you don’t mind running cables to each individual speaker. There’s no wireless rear speaker option, but if you’re adept at hiding cables this won’t present a problem. Plenty of cable is included with the package.
For the price, the Samsung HT-BD2E is a good buy. It has a Blu-ray player, powerful speakers and the ability to connect a few external audio devices.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro hybrid Ultrabook
- 3 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 4 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 5 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- NSA chief says cyberattacks on industrial systems are his top concern
- Intel plans 3D NAND flash next year for 'as much storage as you want'
- Governments act against webcam-snooping websites
- Facebook's alternative PHP engine attracts Web service providers
- Intel planning thumb-sized PCs for next year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW