- Wide range of inputs (including VGA for PCs), solid menu system, clear image
- Plastic remote control, colour saturation, limited outputs
The Samsung screen offers clear, crisp image output, an easy-to-use menu and wide range of input connections, but the default settings produce an oversaturated image.
Price$ 3,499.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 5 stores)
The Samsung LA32R51B 32" LCD TV features a unique angular base and gloss black screen border with a footprint of 80 x 25 x 65cm. It has a 32" screen running at a native resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels, but it scales 1080i content to fit.
The 17.7kg display can be wall mounted and includes an analog TV tuner. The Samsung offers a clear, bright image, but using the default settings the colours appear a little saturated. Contrast adjustments are effective and the on-screen text remains clear without shadowing. DNIe (Digital Natural Image engine) is also included to help enhance picture quality. The screen features an ambient light sensor but performs best in a darkened room, as a little detail is lost in bright conditions. The screen is PAL-native, but supports NTSC inputs.
When the TV is first turned on, it runs through a configuration wizard to help set up the display and tune the channels. It's extremely straightforward and takes about ten minutes to configure. The grey plastic remote control doesn't feel tremendously robust, but it does provide access to all the features of the TV. The intuitive menu system includes a wide range of colour, input, ratio (4:3, 16:9, panorama or stretched), and channel adjustments, allowing the viewer to tailor the image to suit. My Colour Control allows you to view the results of image enhancements side-by-side the original image, which greatly simplifies fine-tuning.
The display boasts a 170-degree viewing angle, but attempting to watch TV from an extreme angle makes the image appear washed-out.
The screen includes S-Video, composite, component, HDMI and VGA inputs, coupled with analog audio and headphone outputs. All are located on the rear of the screen, making it tricky to quickly connect a device. The digital interface provides the clearest image, but analog picture quality is also excellent. The VGA connector also allows it to be connected to a PC for use as a standard computer monitor. The TV itself features a minimal line of buttons on the right-hand edge, but you would generally rely on the remote control.
The TV includes a bank of small speakers fitted to the front panel. The audio quality is adequate, but suffers a little from a lack of bottom-end punch. Thankfully, quick-set and EQ adjustments are provided and the TV includes SRS capabilities. The screen remains cool during operation and is happy running between 10 and 40 degrees Celsius.
The screen ships with remote control and includes a three-year warranty.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- LG sneaks 4K OLED TVs into stores, from $5999
- Google, Apple streaming devices shake up the TV market
- Dick Smith slashes prices on tech from Apple, Samsung and more
- Panasonic Viera TV range for 2015: 4K, Netflix, and Firefox OS
- 15 Samsung UHD TVs launch with support for Netflix, Stan and Presto
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- FTAccount Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- CCInternal Communications ExecutiveNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW