Samsung NX11 interchangeable lens camera
Samsung NX11 review: A small camera with a digital SLR-sized sensor and functions
- Compact size
- Very good image quality
- Relatively good value
- High ISO performance not great
- Focus a little hit and miss
- EVF could be better
The NX11 is small and capable of producing very good images thanks to its relatively big sensor. With a built-in EVF and flash, it's one of the better value interchangeable lens camera on the Australian market.
Price$ 749.00 (AUD)
The overall crispness of the NX11's shots is good, even when you view photos at their native 14.6-megapixel size. You can rest assured that you'll be able to print photos at a large size and they will still look well defined. As for its overall speed, the NX11 has quick shot-to-shot performance, but it's somewhat slow to focus. Furthermore, it can struggle to focus on the right spot in a scene; luckily, you can easily move the focus point to the part of the image that you want to be in focus. One feature that the NX11 could use is tracking focus. This is available in the higher-end NX100.
Focusing in dark situations will also be a bit of a chore with the NX11. There is a focus assist lamp, but unless there is plenty of contrast between the background and the object you're shooting, the NX11 will be forever lost. Manual focusing is adequate, but only if there is enough light, otherwise the image through the electronic viewfinder or LCD screen will look too noisy and it will be hard to determine whether the image is in focus or not.
The EVF isn't of a high quality and you can't rely on it for setting the exposure and colour balance; for these tasks you are better off using the bright AMOLED screen. The AMOLED screen isn't WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) either when it comes to exposure, but it's much better than the EVF. Both the EVF and the LCD are sometimes ineffective when shooting in dark conditions — you essentially have to shoot blind and hope for the best. The screen on the NX100 is much better in this respect as it basically is WYSIWYG at all times.
Overall, we really like the NX11. It's not as big as a traditional digital SLR, but it still has a digital SLR-sized sensor and its results are very good. You can use the NX11 for all types of photography (depending on the lenses you have) although it can struggle at times in low-light situations. We like the fact that you get an EVF and a flash built in. We don't care much for the i-Function feature in the new lenses, but it does give you another way of doing things when it comes to changing settings. For $749, it's an interchangeable lens camera that's well worth considering, but with entry level models from Nikon and Canon now available for not much more money, we think the NX11 would be more enticing at a recommended price of around $600.
We also attempted some arty shots using the 50-200mm lens — we're not very arty though.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony returns to profit, cuts full-year loss forecast
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FT.NET DevelopersQLD
- FTData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- CCTechnical PM - Magento E-Commerce SolutionNSW
- CCSenior Systems AnalystSA
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, ReportingNSW
- CCDeemed Order Business SpecialistVIC
- CCContract Programmer (MS SQL Server/SQL/Web) 160518/P/626Asia
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCMS Dynamics CRM ConsultantVIC
- CCIBM Sterling Developer + IBM Sterling Team LeaderNSW
- CCIT Environment and Deployment SpecialistQLD
- CCSenior Network Engineer - NV1ACT
- FTCloud ArchitectAsia
- CCTechnology Team Lead / Senior Developer - JavaNSW
- CCPHP / Magento E-Commerce DeveloperNSW
- CCSystems Engineer- VMware / Cisco UCSNSW
- CCDigital Project ManagerVIC
- CCTechnology Lead / Senior Developer - Java (Urgent)NSW
- CCIT Assistant (Office Automation/Windows) 160517/ITA/884Asia
- CCSenior Oracle Functional ConsultantSA
- FTSOE SpecialistACT
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCNetwork Consultant - Bandwidth Assessment | 3 month contract into Defence | NV1+ACT