Samsung RF511 all-purpose laptop
This 15.6in laptop can be used for gaming as well as tough multimedia tasks and day-to-day office work
- Plenty of speed
- Great keyboard
- Blu-ray drive
- Screen too glossy
- Build quality not great
Samsung's RF511 is relatively inexpensive, yet it packs a lot of speed and good features. For just over $1000 (if you shop around), you get an Intel Core i7 CPU as well as a Blu-ray drive. We think it's a great laptop for anyone who wants to be entertained as well as do serious work.
Price$ 1,299.00 (AUD)
Need a laptop that can be used for entertainment purposes as well as boring old office work? If so, the Samsung RF511 is a good choice. Its specification list is beefy: it includes one of Intel's latest Intel Core i7 CPUs as well as plenty of memory and hard drive space. Most importantly, it has a good graphics adapter, and a good graphics adapter is what's needed to play games.
We had no problems running popular games on this laptop and unless you're a hardcore gamer who wants to enable all of the eye candy available in a game and still experience smooth gameplay, then we think you'll be happy with it. It recorded 9219 in 3DMark06, which is a good result, and games such as Left4Dead2 recorded 60 frames per second, which equates to smooth gameplay.
If you want to just do spreadsheets, create documents and browse the Web, the Samsung won't let you down. In fact, if that's all you want to do, then you're better off buying something much cheaper and less powerful. The Samsung's specifications are better suited to those of you who want to edit video and to convert files from one format to another.
You can also use this laptop for heavy multitasking. Its CPU has four cores and Hyper-Threading and there is 6GB of RAM available. What this means is that you can run up to eight programs (or more) simultaneously without noticing too much of a slow-down in performance. The hard drive has a capacity of 750GB, which is great for storing stacks of multimedia files as well as all your programs, and because the laptop has USB 3.0, you can plug in a fast external hard drive to back up all your data, too.
Some things we don't like about this laptop are its 15.6in glossy screen and somewhat questionable build quality. That said, it's not too bad and it's not an expensive laptop, so you shouldn't expect it to be perfect in every way.
We like its keyboard, which feels great to type on and its touchpad is smooth and supportive of multi-finger gestures. It's a big laptop that weighs about 2.6kg, so it's not great for actually using it on your lap — it definitely should be considered a desktop replacement unit.
All up, this notebook is hard to pass up if you want a good combination of speed, features, price and user comfort.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony returns to profit, cuts full-year loss forecast
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst/Programmer II (Drupal 7.39/PHP) 160427/CAP/vccAsia
- CCData AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Financial Crime AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness Data AnalystVIC
- CC.NET Developer (Application production Support)NSW
- CCSenior Master Data OfficerNSW
- FTDeveloper - OSB/BPELNSW
- CCFull Stack Developer - Java - Blue Chip CompanyNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCService DeskWA
- CCChange Manager x 2NSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (C++/JAVA/SQL) 160505/SA/971Asia
- CCSiebel AnalystACT
- CCSr. Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCSystem Administration / Application Support | NV2 clearance neededACT
- CCSystems TrainerVIC
- CCSql Server Database Administrator (SAP)QLD
- FTManager; Enterprise ArchitectureNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTAzure ArchitectQLD
- CCOperational Team LeadVIC
- CCNV1 | System admin with SQL server experience for Defence Application SupportACT
- CCDigital Producer (Part Time 3 Days Per Week)NSW
- FTIT Support Engineer - Managed Service Provider - No two days are the sameNSW