Samsung SBH700 Bluetooth headset
Expect decent audio quality, and that’s about it. These headphones lag behind the competition in comfort and usability.
- Impressive performance at edge of operating range, Slick red and silver design
- Uncomfortable to wear, Awkward position of controls
The headphones were too uncomfortable and the controls were too inaccessible for the SBH700 to be a viable accessory.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
I was not a happy camper when I wore Samsung's SBH700 headphones. Despite extensive fiddling, I couldn't arrive at a comfortable fit. For starters, the earbuds were too big--the package lacks alternative bud sizes--and the squarish hooks did not sit properly over the curve of my ears. In addition, the SBH700's headband, which wraps around the back of the user's neck, felt heavy and imparted a sagging sensation. After wearing the headset for a while, my ears simply felt fatigued. (The Motorola MotoRokr S9-HD headset produced a similarly ear-stressing experience.)
My tunes sounded good, with nice overall brightness and adequate bass. Phone conversations over the SBH700 came through loud and clear on my end. The parties on the receiving end said that they could hear me just fine, but that I sounded a tad muffled. There were no complaints about echoes or instances of my voice breaking up. The SBH700 did pick up kids' yelps and background music, but they weren't terribly distracting.
I was surprised at how well the calls and my tunes held up during my range tests. With many Bluetooth headsets of this class--for example, the LG Electronics HBS-250--I noticed some crackling as I approached the 33-foot limit, but with the Samsung headphones, I encountered no interference.
The call button and the play/pause button are located on the top of the left and right earpieces, respectively; I got a feel for them quickly enough. But the volume and track-skipping controls are inconveniently housed on the underside of the headband (at the back of the neck).
The red-and-silver unit looks stylish and sporty, but its good looks and satisfactory audio quality are outweighed by its subpar comfort and design, which trailed the others I reviewed at the same time. The headphones were too uncomfortable and the controls were too inaccessible for the SBH700 to be a viable accessory.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Fake heads and robot probes: testing smartphones prior to launch
- Rumor suggests the Note8 will be a bigger S8+ that adds a missing feature
- Xiaomi's Mi6 has the Galaxy S7’s looks, the S8’s power, and iPhone 7’s camera for half the price
- Samsung DeX turns your Galaxy S8 into a shockingly good desktop PC
- Find My iPhone helps nab a thief at Coachella with 100 phones in his backpack
PCW Evaluation Team
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsWA
- TPProject Manager. Enterprise wide IT ProjectsNSW
- FTVDI EngineerACT
- CCSenior Network Architect l CCNP/CCIE R&S l Cisco ACINSW
- FTAgile Scrum Master/TrainerNSW
- FTPMO CoordinatorACT
- TPProject ManagerQLD
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager Office 365 ImplementationVIC
- FTMarket Data Analyst, Investment BankingNSW
- TPFront-End DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerACT
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- FTSecurity Solutions Manager - Perth BasedNSW
- TPEOI - Developer/Tester/Software EngineerACT
- CCProcess Engineer- TelcoVIC
- FTSecurity Support Manager - Perth BasedNSW
- FTFinance Analyst with Accounting background | $71 phVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Specialist - Data ManagementNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerQLD
- CCTelecommunication Business SpecialistVIC
- FTPMO CoordinatorQLD
- CCProject Manager - Security - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Functional Analyst - FinanceQLD