Samsung Series 8 (PS51D8000) 3D plasma TV
Samsung Series 8 TV review: Samsung's best plasma has 3D, Smart TV and a thin design
- Excellent picture quality
- Great design
- Impressive sound quality from a thin TV
- The Series 6 might be slightly better value
- EPG is slow to load and navigate
The 2011 edition of Samsung's Series 8 plasma is, as we'd expected, an impressive piece of technology. Its sound and visuals are great, and the inclusion of various 'Smart TV' features makes the Series 8 a useful multimedia device as well as a traditional TV. The built-in Web browser isn't perfect and we'd definitely prefer a notebook if one was close to hand, and some of the features are a little imperfect, but the Series is is nonetheless a big step forward from the featureless TVs of a couple of years ago.
Price$ 2,599.00 (AUD)
This review is for the 59in Samsung Series 8 (PS59D8000) 3D plasma TV. The full review can be found here. The 51in PS51D8000 is smaller, but significantly cheaper than the 59in TV we reviewed, making it better value.
The Samsung Series 8 (PS59D8000) is a 59in 3D plasma TV that builds on the high quality and impressive performance of last year's Series 7 plasma. It's got an excellent plasma panel and can display a great deal of detail from Full HD video, with almost no loss of detail in dark and bright scenes. We're still not sold on the 3D, but it's better than last year's attempt. Similarly, the Smart TV features aren't perfect but they provide a distraction to mundane digital TV.
If you're picking out a new television and want to work out what's best for you, read through our LCD vs LED vs plasma TV buying guide.
Want to learn about 3D TV? Take a look at our 3D TV buying guide.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony returns to profit, cuts full-year loss forecast
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCBusiness Impact AssessmentsVIC
- CCSystems Administrator with developer skills | Defence intelligence | NV2 clearedACT
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTMobility Developer x 2 - iOS and Android positions available!NSW
- CCSAP Application Delivery LeadVIC
- CCBiztalk developerNSW
- CCUX DesignersQLD
- CCSalesforce DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Systems AnalystACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/ SQL*PLUS/PL/SQL/PRO*C) 160617/AP/983Asia
- CCLead UX DesignerNSW
- CCSystem AnalystACT
- FTInfrastructure/Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCSecurity Solution ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Manager Practice LeadNSW
- CCMobility Developer (iOS or Android)NSW
- CCIntegration ArchitectACT
- CCICT PreSales SpecialistVIC
- CCField Network Engineer - GSM Networks.VIC
- FT.Net Developer (WebAPI / Entity Framework / SQL Server)NSW
- FTNetwork EngineerNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCDigital Business AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - TravelNSW