Samsung Series 8 (PS64D8000) 3D plasma TV
Samsung Series 8 TV review: Samsung's best plasma has 3D, Smart TV and a thin design
- Excellent picture quality
- Great design
- Impressive sound quality from a thin TV
- The Series 6 might be slightly better value
- EPG is slow to load and navigate
The 2011 edition of Samsung's Series 8 plasma is, as we'd expected, an impressive piece of technology. Its sound and visuals are great, and the inclusion of various 'Smart TV' features makes the Series 8 a useful multimedia device as well as a traditional TV. The built-in Web browser isn't perfect and we'd definitely prefer a notebook if one was close to hand, and some of the features are a little imperfect, but the Series is is nonetheless a big step forward from the featureless TVs of a couple of years ago.
Price$ 4,299.00 (AUD)
This review is for the 59in Samsung Series 8 (PS59D8000) 3D plasma TV. The full review can be found here. The 64in PS51D8000 is larger and more expensive than the 59in TV we reviewed. We don't think it's any more or less reasonably priced than the 59in PS59D8000.
The Samsung Series 8 (PS59D8000) is a 59in 3D plasma TV that builds on the high quality and impressive performance of last year's Series 7 plasma. It's got an excellent plasma panel and can display a great deal of detail from Full HD video, with almost no loss of detail in dark and bright scenes. We're still not sold on the 3D, but it's better than last year's attempt. Similarly, the Smart TV features aren't perfect but they provide a distraction to mundane digital TV.
If you're picking out a new television and want to work out what's best for you, read through our LCD vs LED vs plasma TV buying guide.
Want to learn about 3D TV? Take a look at our 3D TV buying guide.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony returns to profit, cuts full-year loss forecast
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProject Manager XPLANNSW
- FTDB2 Database AdministratorVIC
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCDeployment CoordinatorNSW
- CCSenior Integration Specialist - IP NetworkVIC
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/JP/709Asia
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCFacilities ManagerACT
- CCBusiness Analyst / SalesforceNSW
- CCFunctional & System Integration Test AnalystACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160826/AP/972Asia
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- CCMainframe Application ArchitectNSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystNSW
- CCSr Project Manager - BASELINEACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- FTClient Engagement ManagerVIC
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCSr IT Support specialist - MCSE- L2/L3- Travelling requiredNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (.Net/SQL Server) 160829/SA/244Asia
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160817/SITA/902Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia