Samsung SpinPoint - 160GB
- None to speak of
- Slower transfer rates, Slightly noisy
Suited to a mainstream PC where fast data transfer rates are not all that important.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
Samsung's SATA range of drives have mainstream capacities, starting at 80GB, and the model we tested was the SpinPoint SP1614C, which is a 160GB drive with an 8MB cache buffer, a 7200rpm spin speed and fluid dynamic bearings.
Although it had respectable levels of noise and heat emission, the Samsung did not perform at all well in our tests. It only managed to transfer 814MB per minute during our file transfer test, well behind most of the competition. During this test its temperature reached a maximum of 41 degrees and its seek and write operations were only slightly audible.
The SpinPoint SP1614C has a formatted capacity of 149GB, which is slightly lower than the 152GB capacities offered by 160GB Western Digital and Maxtor drives. Its cost-per-gigabyte is not as low as the aforementioned vendors' drives.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Intel will provide early access to fast Optane SSDs via the cloud
- Samsung’s massive 15TB SSD can be yours -- for about $10K
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCProgram Director, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- FTClient Engagement ManagerVIC
- FTIT ManagerAsia
- FTTM1 Solution DesignerNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- CCManager Architecture Practice Lead (Infrastructure Architect)NSW
- CCSenior Server and Storage Support EngineerNSW
- FTData AnalystsWA
- FTSenior Front End Developer (UX/UI)SA
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- CCData AnalystACT
- CCProgram SchedulerVIC
- CCSr IT Support specialist - MCSE- L2/L3- Travelling requiredNSW
- CCFinance Stream Consultant (SAP FICO & Procurement Streams)NSW
- CCDevOps Engineer - Php, LAMP, XML, scripting, JavaNSW
- CCSAP ArchitectSA
- CCSenior Project Manager - Contact CentresNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Technology Specialist - Back-end Java/JEENSW
- FTPrincipal Business Consultant- Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCMS Access DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Manager - Infrastructure Strategy and OperationsNSW