- Fast printing, Good quality prints, Rich colours
- Slightly misaligned colours on some prints, Not compatible with some mobile phones.
The Samsung SPP-2040 is a very pretty little device that would suit anyone looking for a simple solution for making prints of their digital photo collection from the comfort of their home office.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
As digital cameras begin to dominate our lives, more and more people are looking for fast and easy solutions for getting high quality prints to put in their photo albums. The Samsung SPP-2040 is a very attractive, sleek and simple to use photo printer that could easily handle any family's day to day printing needs. It doesn't produce perfect pictures but they are more than sufficient and print both quickly and with the greatest of ease.
The unit is tiny and abundant in clean futuristic lines with a blazing blue neon on/off button. The tiny two inch screen displays basic information including printing progress and menu items. This design is very effective and will look gorgeous on the average workstation desk. The paper dock attaches to the bottom of the printer and can hold sheets of specialized photo paper. This printer can only print 4x6 prints though so for those looking to do more extensive printing, one of the larger multi-format photo printers might be in order.
We tested the 2040 and were impressed with its speed. It averaged about 60 seconds per print during our tests in both colour and monochrome. We also tested the colour reproduction and found the richness of the colours to be quite astounding. However, this is not the perfect printer. There were times when the colours were slightly misaligned creating fringing on certain colours. This didn't happen on every photo but considering the cost of each page of paper, any anomalies should be addressed.
Samsung included a Bluetooth dongle so we could test the Bluetooth capabilities of the printer. We used various mobile phones but found that only the model made by Samsung worked when printing photos. All other wireless printing worked well but the incompatibility with other manufacturer's mobile phones seems like a poor design choice to us.
Installing this printer was a breeze with a simple driver installation, it was up and running and accepting images from any program we threw at it.
We quite enjoyed using the Samsung SPP-2040 and had only a few minor complaints about it. The print quality was rather good, the printing was quick and the unit is so adorable we couldn't help but hold it in high regard.
The 2040 also comes with an option to buy the Bluetooth dongle for an extra $50 for those that need that functionality.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
- 5 Oppo Find 7 Android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Google Nexus 9 pre-sales start at $479
- Acer launches four Chrome devices under $400
- China again blames US for disrupted cybersecurity talks
- The cheapest way to buy an iPad from Apple
- Is your Ethernet fast enough? Four new speeds are in the works
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTSales Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Sales ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW