Samsung SyncMaster 2233SW
Samsung's SyncMaster 2233SW is an LCD monitor boasting a Full HD resolution. However it lacks an HDMI connection.
- Full HD resolution, superb image quality, great design, excellent colour and contrast, non-glossy screen, no visible ghosting during fast motion
- No HDMI, no included DVI cable, poor vertical viewing angles, ball-hinge stand design
Samsung's SyncMaster 2233SW may lack HDMI connectivity, but this LCD monitor remains a great choice for the home and office thanks to a stylish design and great image quality.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
Samsung's latest SyncMaster LCD monitor is the 2233SW — a Full HD display boasting a 1920x1080 resolution and a 16:9 aspect ratio. The lack of HDMI connectivity is a little disappointing, but this is still a great LCD monitor.
Recent Samsung LCD monitors have been extremely stylish, and the SyncMaster 2233SW continues this trend. It has a glossy black bezel with a clear extruded plastic edge running along its base. A soft blue LED just below the Samsung logo on the bottom of the display completes the stylish package, along with a round stand. Light tends to reflect off the surface of the bezel, though the screen itself isn't glossy so it's ideal for use in an office environment. We didn't like the controls on the right side of the monitor, which have difficult to read labels and the buttons require a firm press.
The Samsung SyncMaster 2233SW's stand is difficult to connect, with an awkward ball hinge connection that involves pushing the bottom of the monitor into the stand with plenty of force. The ball hinge doesn't click into place like with most other LCD monitors; instead it is wedged into place. Although it holds the LCD monitor sturdily once connected, the stand doesn't allow the monitor to swivel or be raised; nor does it allow much tilting.
The monitor has a 5ms refresh rate, making it one of the faster 22in screens on the market. The lack of HDMI connectivity does limit the Samsung SyncMaster 2233SW's use for high-definition gaming, though it performed well in our fast-motion tests — only slight trailing was present and there was no noticeable ghosting issues when viewing action movies and PC games.
Colour and contrast are excellent. The listed dynamic contrast ratio is 15,000:1, though the typical contrast ratio is 1000:1. Black levels are rich, detail is excellent and both light and dark contrast showed with plenty of distinction in our DisplayMate tests. The SyncMaster 2233SW also has accurate hues and saturation levels and produces a crisp, sharp image with no evidence of backlight bleeding.
It is worth delving into the on-screen menu as Samsung has included many useful features, headed by MagicColor and MagicBright. MagicColor increases the brightness and is ideal for viewing images, while MagicBright is a set of pre-programmed colour modes including sport, movie, dynamic contrast, text, Internet and game. In a regular office environment we found Internet mode to be the ideal setting, though the colours produced in some of the other modes are excellent, with no over-saturation. Text is displayed accurately with minimal aberrations and at the native 1920x1080 resolution the Windows Desktop looked superb.
Our only real complaint lies with the vertical viewing angles, which could be improved. Thankfully, the horizontal viewing angles are much better, with no noticeable colour shift.
The rear of the Samsung SyncMaster 2233SW has an etched flower design. The LCD monitor includes DVI and D-Sub ports but disappointingly there is no DVI cable included in the sales package.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCService Designer (CX)NSW
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXWA
- FTHead of ApplicationsVIC
- CCSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantWA
- CCGun Java Developer wanted...VIC
- TPFunctional AnalystVIC
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW
- FT.Net Azure DeveloperSA
- TPSAP Helpdesk SupportACT
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCIT Solutions ArchitectQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - Technical BackgroundQLD
- FTLinux Systems EngineerQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)WA
- FTProject / Implementation Coordinator (Junior-Mid Level) Sunshine Coast LocationQLD
- FTLevel 3 Support AnalystVIC
- FTOnline Solutions AnalystNSW
- FTApplications DeveloperACT
- CCProject / Portfolio SchedulerNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectQLD
- TPAgile Project Manager. Sharepoint / PeoplesoftNSW
- FTJava Developer - Fixed Term ContractQLD