Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX LCD monitor
Reasonable performance, a height adjustable stand and a straightforward yet effective design make this 22-inch Samsung LCD monitor ideal for any office
- Height adjustable stand, build quality, good performance
- No HDMI input, no DVI cable included, touch-sensitive buttons aren't backlit
Samsung's SyncMaster 2243BWX monitor doesn’t really offer anything to get excited about, but it's good value at this price. The lack of an HDMI input is a sour point, but for office use this is a good choice.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
With a resolution of 1680x1050, a 5ms response time and 1000:1 contrast ratio, the specifications sheet of Samsung's SyncMaster 2243BWX LCD monitor doesn't make for terribly exciting reading. However, reasonable performance, a height adjustable stand and a straightforward yet effective design make this 22in monitor ideal for any office.
Samsung follows a similar design trend for most of the SyncMaster monitor range. Minimalist would be the best way to describe the SyncMaster 2243BWX — aside from the glossy black bezel and stand, the 2243BWX has a straightforward design. We aren't in favour of glossy bezels on LCD monitors because light tends to reflects off the surface, but thankfully the screen itself isn't glossy. Using it in an office with fluorescent lighting therefore poses no problems.
Samsung has used touch-sensitive controls on the SyncMaster 2243BWX LCD monitor. They are responsive enough but the labels aren’t backlit, so pressing these keys at night or in dim lighting is almost impossible. We did like the 2243BWX's stand; in addition to being height adjustable it pivots, swivels and tilts and feels firm and well-built.
The Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX has a native resolution of 1680x1050 and a 16:9 aspect ratio, making it useful for watching widescreen video content. Unfortunately there is no HDMI input, though the monitor has DVI and D-Sub VGA ports. Samsung doesn't include a DVI cable in the sales package.
A 5ms refresh rate means the Samsung SyncMaster 2243BWX can display fast motion without ghosting. Contrast and colour reproduction are above average. The dynamic contrast ratio is 8000:1, though the typical contrast ratio is 1000:1. Black levels are quite rich, detail is good and the overall image was sharp. Importantly our DisplayMate tests revealed no real issues with image quality.
Samsung has included MagicColor and MagicBright settings on the SyncMaster 2243BWX. MagicColor increases the brightness and is ideal for viewing images, while MagicBright is a set of pre-programmed colour modes including sport, movie, dynamic contrast, text, Internet and game. We found Internet mode to be the ideal setting for our office, but you'll probably need to bump down the brightness a few notches as it can wash out the colour.
Viewing angles could use some improvement — there is notable colour shift when altering the vertical viewing angle. Thankfully, horizontal viewing angles fare slightly better.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- R.I.P. VGA: Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080 dumps analog support, following Intel and AMD's lead
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Brand NEW IoT ProjectNSW
- FTTest EngineerNSW
- CCStorage / Server EngineerNSW
- CCSQL Database Administrator - DBANSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMware - CanberraACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- CCQuality AnalystNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Windows 7/8/10) 160901/SA/212Asia
- CCProject Manager- Radio CommunicationsVIC
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst- BABOK,Infrastructure, Banking bkgndNSW
- CCJunior/Intermediate Drupal web developer - APS Level 4/5 equiACT
- CCJunior SQL DBA - Entry LevelVIC
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- FTBack End Developer - Java, Spring, RESTNSW
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- FTOrchestration Engineer - DevOps - PuppetVIC
- CCPersonal AssistantVIC
- CCData Migration SpecialistSA
- CCSenior Project Manager - Contact CentresNSW