Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD LCD monitor
Samsung's latest SyncMaster LCD monitor includes a built-in digital TV tuner
- Built-in TV tuner with EPG, stylish design, dual HDMI ports, accurate colour and rich blacks, preview feature
- Glossy bezel reflects light, awkward controls, strange ball connection, slight motion lag when watching TV, viewing angles aren’t great
The Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD is a competent if not outstanding LCD monitor, and the included TV tuner may push it over the line for many potential buyers.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
The Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD is a 23in, Full HD (1920x1080) monitor boasting HDMI input and a 16:9 aspect ratio. It also comes with a built-in TV tuner, so it's ideal for use in a bedroom or as an inexpensive secondary television.
The Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD is very similar to the SyncMaster 2333SW — it uses the same panel and has an almost identical design. A glossy black bezel with a clear extruded plastic edge running along its base gives it a distinctive look, and the bright blue light beneath the Samsung logo is a nice touch.
Though the SyncMaster 2333HD LCD monitor definitely looks good, light reflects off the glossy surface of the bezel, so glare is an issue. The controls on the right side of the monitor have hard to read labels and the buttons require a firm press.
The monitor's stand is difficult to connect and has an awkward ball hinge connection. This hinge doesn't click into place like with most other LCD monitors; it's wedged into place instead. Although it holds the monitor sturdily once connected, the stand doesn't allow the monitor to swivel or rise, and the scope to tilt it is limited.
The rear of the Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD monitor has a stylish, etched flower design. The monitor includes all the ports you'll need for both PC and television use. In addition to two HDMI ports (one behind a flip out panel on the left side of the monitor) and single DVI and D-Sub ports, there are a headphone jack, optical audio out port, audio in port, a component in connection and an antenna port for the built-in tuner.
The Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD has a 5ms refresh rate, making it one of the faster 23in screens on the market. HDMI makes it ideal for high-definition gaming use, and it performed well when hooked up to our PlayStation 3. During games, we didn't notice any trailing or ghosting issues, but did experience slight motion lag when using the TV tuner.
The SyncMaster 2333HD produces accurate colour and rich blacks, though we did note slight backlight bleeding while watching a Blu-ray movie. We were also unimpressed with the viewing angles ⏼ noticeable colour shift is evident when viewing the screen from off-centre, especially vertically. This is an issue with most TN LCD panels though, and not unique to the SyncMaster 2333HD. Both light and dark areas showed plenty of distinction in our DisplayMate tests and the overall image is crisp and sharp.
The built-in HD digital TV tuner works well and Samsung includes a remote control in the sales package. Sound is average with a distinct lack of bass the main issue, though the volume doesn't distort even at its highest setting. There is an on-board EPG (electronic program guide) and a five-channel sound equaliser. The preview feature is a nice touch — it lets you to continue to watch the current viewed program while browsing the EPG. Changing channels is a little slow. Though we wouldn't recommend it as your primary television, the Samsung SyncMaster 2333HD's built in TV tuner is ideal for a bedroom TV or a secondary television outside the living room.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony returns to profit, cuts full-year loss forecast
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSharePoint AdministratorNSW
- CCOffice 365 Project ManagerNSW
- CCLead Communications ConsultantWA
- CCSalesforce Project ManagerQLD
- CCBiztalk developerNSW
- CCMobility Developer (iOS or Android)NSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - ServerSA
- CCProgrammer (IT Security/Website Administration) 160711/P/565Asia
- CCSenior Business Analyst- BPMN, Testing backgroundNSW
- CCSystems Monitoring Specialist - Foglight focusNSW
- CCSenior Developer - AWS Cloud HSMNSW
- CCIT Technical Writer- understanding in RDMBS,Web server, StorageNSW
- FTMobile DeveloperWA
- CCSystems Administrator with developer skills | Defence intelligence | NV2 clearedACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160616/AP/185Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst - BPRNSW
- CCSystem AnalystACT
- CCSenior IT Automated TesterNSW
- FTIT Senior Business Analyst (12M)NSW
- CCWeb Developer (Drupal)SA
- FTData Center Operator (1-Year Renewal Contract)Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCSoftware & Hardware Asset Management - 2 rolesNSW
- CCSenior Java DeveloperACT
- FTTechnical Lead - Tier 1 Customer interfaceACT