Samsung SyncMaster 2333SW LCD monitor
Possessing great image quality and loads of style, Samsung's SyncMaster 2333SW is an excellent Full HD monitor
- Full HD, good image quality, stylish design, excellent colour and contrast, non-glossy screen, no ghosting
- No HDMI, DVI cable not included, ball-hinge stand design is awkward
The Samsung SyncMaster 2333SW offers excellent image quality and a stylish design. The lack of HDMI and an awkward stand mount are minor issues, and a Full HD resolution and great colour are more than enough to compensate.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
The Samsung SyncMaster 2333SW is a Full HD monitor boasting a 1920x1080 resolution and a 16:9 aspect ratio. The lack of HDMI connectivity and an awkward base stand connector are issues, but the image quality and design make this a great LCD monitor overall.
The Samsung SyncMaster 2333SW has a glossy black bezel with a clear extruded plastic edge running along its base. A soft blue LED just below the Samsung logo on the bottom of the display adds a nice touch of style, as does the round stand. Light reflects off the surface of the bezel, though the screen itself isn't glossy so it's ideal for use in an office environment. We didn't like the controls on the right side of the monitor — they have difficult to read labels and the buttons require a firm press.
The rear of the SyncMaster 2333SW has an etched flower design. The monitor includes DVI and D-Sub ports but there is no DVI cable included in the sales package. HDMI is a notable exclusion.
A strange and annoying aspect of the Samsung SyncMaster 2333SW is its stand. It is difficult to connect, with an awkward ball hinge connection that involves pushing the bottom of the monitor into the stand with plenty of force. The ball hinge doesn't click into place like with most other LCD monitors but is wedged into place instead. Although it holds the monitor sturdily once connected, the stand doesn't allow the monitor to swivel or rise and tilt is limited.
The Samsung SyncMaster 2333SW has a 5ms refresh rate, making it one of the faster 23in screens on the market. The lack of HDMI does limit high-definition gaming use, though the monitor still performed well in our fast-motion tests. Only slight trailing was present and there was no noticeable ghosting.
Colour and contrast are excellent. The listed dynamic contrast ratio is 20,000:1, though the typical contrast ratio is 1000:1. Black levels are rich, detail is excellent and both light and dark contrast showed with plenty of distinction in our DisplayMate tests. Overall, the he SyncMaster 2333SW produces a crisp, sharp image with no evidence of backlight bleeding. Our only real complaint lies with the vertical viewing angles — horizontal viewing angles are much better, with no noticeable colour shift.
Samsung has included MagicColor and MagicBright settings on the "cream" series of monitors, which the SyncMaster 2333SW is part of. MagicColor increases the brightness and is ideal for viewing images, while MagicBright is a set of pre-programmed colour modes including sport, movie, dynamic contrast, text, Internet and game. We found Internet mode to be the ideal setting for our office, but you'll probably need to bump down the brightness a few notches. Text is displayed accurately with minimal aberrations and at the native 1920x1080 resolution the Desktop looked superb.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- R.I.P. VGA: Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080 dumps analog support, following Intel and AMD's lead
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCNetwork Design Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC