Samsung SyncMaster 770P
- Contrast Ratio, Adaptability and design, Sharp image quality
- Expensive, Can't match colour performance of other models
It's pretty pricey, but we'd be prepared to pay for such superb contrast ratio, excellent design and sharp image quality. A top choice.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Love L770 Black Havana Glasses, Eyeglasses & Fr... 89.00
You might think a price tag of $899 was a bit high for a 17in TFT display - about $100 too high. However, we reckon it justifies this extra cost. For starters, look at the specifications. A contrast ratio of 1,500:1 isn't just impressive, it's staggering. The Samsung's 6ms response time isn't a record-breaker but it's certainly very fast indeed, and a viewing angle of 178 degrees on both the horizontal and vertical planes is as good as anything else on offer.
Good specifications are all very well, but what really matters is the performance. And although it does do a generally sterling job, we thought the 770P lacked a certain something. It can't match the colour palette of other 17 inch screens we've seen, but it certainly offers excellent definition.
The real beauty of the Samsung, though, is its adaptability. The stand allows it to sit almost flat on its base, or it can be raised to tower above everything else on the desk. Either way, you won't have a problem getting the SyncMaster to a comfortable height. What's more, the screen can be rotated through 90 degrees so you can use it in portrait mode - handy when working on Word documents, among other things. Samsung's proprietary Magic Rotation software means the image is automatically rotated when you pivot the screen.
The screen also swivels on the base, so it can be moved to show someone else what the user is looking at without physically picking the whole thing up. The design of the Samsung isn't just functional, though; it's really quite attractive. There's a choice of four colours - white, blue, red and black - so you can pick one to suit the rest of your system or the room that it's going to live in.
Image quality is sharp, although the colour depth isn't the best. But what we really liked about the SyncMaster 770P is the fact that it can be adjusted to suit the user in a variety of ways - it can be tilted, raised, lowered and rotated into landscape and portrait modes. Perhaps it is a touch on the pricey side, though.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- R.I.P. VGA: Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080 dumps analog support, following Intel and AMD's lead
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSOE Engineer - End User ComputingQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/SQL/PHP) 160628/AP/113Asia
- CCRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- FTFull-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Healthcare industryVIC
- FTCitrix SpecialistACT
- CCTechnical Writer | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- FTTechnical COE SpecialistACT
- CCChange Manager, Digital ProgramNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - ServerSA
- CCSystems Administrator with developer skills | Defence intelligence | NV2 clearedACT
- CCSharePoint DeveloperSA
- CCSAP ABAP - Senior developerVIC
- FTMid-Level .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCProject Manager | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- CCSystems Engineer | Defence intelligence projects | NV2 clearanceACT
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTVoice ArchitectNSW
- CCLead Solution Analyst - BMC Remedy softwareVIC
- FTIT Service Desk AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Systems AnalystACT
- CCMedia AnalystNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCLead Communications ConsultantWA
- CCSoftware Biomedical Solutions ArchitectSA