Samsung SyncMaster 770P
- Contrast Ratio, Adaptability and design, Sharp image quality
- Expensive, Can't match colour performance of other models
It's pretty pricey, but we'd be prepared to pay for such superb contrast ratio, excellent design and sharp image quality. A top choice.
Price$ 899.00 (AUD)
You might think a price tag of $899 was a bit high for a 17in TFT display - about $100 too high. However, we reckon it justifies this extra cost. For starters, look at the specifications. A contrast ratio of 1,500:1 isn't just impressive, it's staggering. The Samsung's 6ms response time isn't a record-breaker but it's certainly very fast indeed, and a viewing angle of 178 degrees on both the horizontal and vertical planes is as good as anything else on offer.
Good specifications are all very well, but what really matters is the performance. And although it does do a generally sterling job, we thought the 770P lacked a certain something. It can't match the colour palette of other 17 inch screens we've seen, but it certainly offers excellent definition.
The real beauty of the Samsung, though, is its adaptability. The stand allows it to sit almost flat on its base, or it can be raised to tower above everything else on the desk. Either way, you won't have a problem getting the SyncMaster to a comfortable height. What's more, the screen can be rotated through 90 degrees so you can use it in portrait mode - handy when working on Word documents, among other things. Samsung's proprietary Magic Rotation software means the image is automatically rotated when you pivot the screen.
The screen also swivels on the base, so it can be moved to show someone else what the user is looking at without physically picking the whole thing up. The design of the Samsung isn't just functional, though; it's really quite attractive. There's a choice of four colours - white, blue, red and black - so you can pick one to suit the rest of your system or the room that it's going to live in.
Image quality is sharp, although the colour depth isn't the best. But what we really liked about the SyncMaster 770P is the fact that it can be adjusted to suit the user in a variety of ways - it can be tilted, raised, lowered and rotated into landscape and portrait modes. Perhaps it is a touch on the pricey side, though.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's wild 8K monitor goes on sale with a just-as-stunning price tag
- LG's 4K HDR monitor gets a price and release date, heralding a new era for PC displays
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- R.I.P. VGA: Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080 dumps analog support, following Intel and AMD's lead
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTWorkforce AnalystNSW
- FTContracts ManagerNSW
- CCApplication Support Specialist- Bathurst or Port MacquarieNSW
- CCProduct Design AnalystNSW
- FTSystem EngineersVIC
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTRecords Management Adviser - EL1ACT
- FTIT SpecialistACT
- FT.Net Developer - Mid-levelNSW
- FTLinux System AdminstratorQLD
- TPAutomation TesterQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCMigration EngineerACT
- CCSAP BPC SME/Consultant - BRISBANE BASEDQLD
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTTechnical Expert | 3mth+contractVIC
- TPProject Manager - General InsuranceNSW
- FTFinancial ERP Customer - Solution Consultant / System AccountantNSW
- FTSenior Change Analyst/ Change ManagerNSW
- FTAEM Architect - Blue Chip companyNSW
- FTHadoop Service AdministratorSA
- CCTest Manager with PV Security ClearanceACT
- FTSenior Test AnalystSA