Samsung SyncMaster 931BF
- Excellent performance, Dual PC support, Attractive design, Helpful calibration options.
- Nothing to speak of.
The Samsung SyncMaster 931BF is a well-designed monitor with superb performance, dual PC support and an attractive aesthetic.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
If you are looking for an attractive simple LCD monitor with flawless display quality, you can't go past the 19 inch Samsung SyncMaster 931BF. Despite our best efforts to find a fault with this unit, it passed all our tests with flying colours.
We put the SyncMaster through its paces by running an exhaustive set of tests with DisplayMate Video Edition. DisplayMate has a multitude of test images that are designed to push a monitor to its limits and reveal any inherent flaws. The Geometry and Distortion tests were executed perfectly. Sharpness and Resolution tests usually show problems in monitors when displaying finely rendered vertical lines and moire test patterns, but the Samsung displayed the test patterns with clarity and precision. The Colour and Grayscale tests were equally impressive with nothing untoward to report. The only issue that we could find in all our tests was a slight darkening in the extreme corners of the screen during our uniformity tests, but it was barely noticeable.
There was also no backlight bleeding and the horizontal viewing angle displayed no colour shift for approximately 150 degrees. With a maximum resolution of 1280 x 1024 and a 700:1 contrast ratio, there is very little it cant handle. We ran gaming tests to evaluate the speed of the monitor and checked for ghosting to ensure its reported 12ms response time was accurate, and found no ghosting to speak of.
The design is comprised entirely of silver and white with curved edges and a circular stand. The bezel is silver and sits on a white frame, with buttons hidden on the underside, allowing access to calibration menus and source switching. Enveloped in a ring of neon blue light, a metallic silver power button rounds out the aesthetic.
The 931BF can accept both DVI and D-Sub inputs at the same time from two different PCs, with the aforementioned source switching button allowing the user to flip between each simply and easily. This is a great feature that PC and notebook users alike will appreciate.
The calibration options are comprehensive and offer more than just the standard brightness, contrast and colour controls. In addition to these basic options there are also more specific colour calibration tools that allow you to manage the red, green and blue levels in the image. If that seems like too much work one can always use the preset colour tones or, for the ultimate in laziness, let the Samsung MagicColor option do its job. With MagicColor switched on, the monitor is meant to automatically adjust the display for optimal output. In our tests we found that the screen became much brighter and the colours were far more vibrant. However, we found it easier to work without MagicColor turned on as it made the image a little too bright.
The Samsung SyncMaster 931BF is a well-designed monitor with superb display quality, dual PC support and an attractive aesthetic. It passed our testing procedures without a problem and we have no hesitation in recommending it.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- R.I.P. VGA: Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080 dumps analog support, following Intel and AMD's lead
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- CCAgile CoachNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- FTLevel 3 Support AnalystVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst - Technical BackgroundQLD
- CCBusiness Test Lead - BRT/UATNSW
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- CCSenior Storage System Engineer -NetApp & TSMNSW
- TPBusiness Intelligence Program ManagerVIC
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerQLD
- FTProject / Implementation Coordinator (Junior-Mid Level) Sunshine Coast LocationQLD
- FTPart Time - IT Service Desk AnalystVIC
- TPLead Change Manager - ERPVIC
- TPLinux Desktop Support SpecialistWA
- TPSenior Java Developer - ContractQLD
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- CCFront-End DeveloperQLD
- FTPresales Solutions ArchitectQLD
- CCSecurity AnalystACT
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCMarketing SpecialistNSW