Samsung SyncMaster 931BF
- Excellent performance, Dual PC support, Attractive design, Helpful calibration options.
- Nothing to speak of.
The Samsung SyncMaster 931BF is a well-designed monitor with superb performance, dual PC support and an attractive aesthetic.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
If you are looking for an attractive simple LCD monitor with flawless display quality, you can't go past the 19 inch Samsung SyncMaster 931BF. Despite our best efforts to find a fault with this unit, it passed all our tests with flying colours.
We put the SyncMaster through its paces by running an exhaustive set of tests with DisplayMate Video Edition. DisplayMate has a multitude of test images that are designed to push a monitor to its limits and reveal any inherent flaws. The Geometry and Distortion tests were executed perfectly. Sharpness and Resolution tests usually show problems in monitors when displaying finely rendered vertical lines and moire test patterns, but the Samsung displayed the test patterns with clarity and precision. The Colour and Grayscale tests were equally impressive with nothing untoward to report. The only issue that we could find in all our tests was a slight darkening in the extreme corners of the screen during our uniformity tests, but it was barely noticeable.
There was also no backlight bleeding and the horizontal viewing angle displayed no colour shift for approximately 150 degrees. With a maximum resolution of 1280 x 1024 and a 700:1 contrast ratio, there is very little it cant handle. We ran gaming tests to evaluate the speed of the monitor and checked for ghosting to ensure its reported 12ms response time was accurate, and found no ghosting to speak of.
The design is comprised entirely of silver and white with curved edges and a circular stand. The bezel is silver and sits on a white frame, with buttons hidden on the underside, allowing access to calibration menus and source switching. Enveloped in a ring of neon blue light, a metallic silver power button rounds out the aesthetic.
The 931BF can accept both DVI and D-Sub inputs at the same time from two different PCs, with the aforementioned source switching button allowing the user to flip between each simply and easily. This is a great feature that PC and notebook users alike will appreciate.
The calibration options are comprehensive and offer more than just the standard brightness, contrast and colour controls. In addition to these basic options there are also more specific colour calibration tools that allow you to manage the red, green and blue levels in the image. If that seems like too much work one can always use the preset colour tones or, for the ultimate in laziness, let the Samsung MagicColor option do its job. With MagicColor switched on, the monitor is meant to automatically adjust the display for optimal output. In our tests we found that the screen became much brighter and the colours were far more vibrant. However, we found it easier to work without MagicColor turned on as it made the image a little too bright.
The Samsung SyncMaster 931BF is a well-designed monitor with superb display quality, dual PC support and an attractive aesthetic. It passed our testing procedures without a problem and we have no hesitation in recommending it.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 3 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 4 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's luscious new 4K monitor is bold, bright, and HDR-infused
- Samsung's 49-inch mega-wide display may displace multi-monitor setups
- More high-end GPUs are now compatible with Dell's 8K monitor
- Dell's wild 8K monitor goes on sale with a just-as-stunning price tag
- LG's 4K HDR monitor gets a price and release date, heralding a new era for PC displays
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior Agile Test AnalystNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst- Process (Banking or Insurance or Gov backg)NSW
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsVIC
- FTTest AnalystACT
- FTDeveloper - Python, Ruby, or PerlQLD
- FTSenior PHP Developer / ArchitectQLD
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- FTJava Team LeadVIC
- CCPersonal AssistantNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - PegaNSW
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCProcess Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTPMO CoordinatorSA
- CCTechnical Consutlant - Entry Level - HPSMVIC
- FTSenior Java DeveloperQLD
- CCServer SOE EngineerACT
- FTSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- TPTesting SpecialistQLD
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- FTHealthcare Application Integration Support - Brisbane BasedWA
- FTDevelopment Team LeadQLD
- FTInternal Recruitment Coordinator / Talent Acquisitio ConsultantNSW
- FTField Engineer - Hardware RolloutsNSW
- TPProject CoordinatorNSW