- Great CD burning and ripping, fast and reliable DVD writing
- Discs often won't play on older players
Strong CD writing, reading and ripping performance make this drive an ideal choice if you are after a replacement CD burner.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Samsung's burner is not only a reliable DVD drive, it is also a top-notch CD burner and CD ripper. If you have a large CD collection that you want to get onto your hard drive, then this drive will ensure that you spend as little time as possible waiting for your tracks to drop into your music library. Our 77 minute test CD finished ripping in only 4 minutes and 23 seconds.
The fast DVD write rates for this drive also ensure that you won't be waiting too long for your data backups and movies to burn, with 8X DVD-R discs completing our test in just over seven-and-a-half minutes, and double layer discs taking only 23 minutes and 55 seconds. Its double layer burn capability is listed as 5X on the side of the box.
It's not all good news for this drive. Our burnt DVD+R DL disc was not recognised by our older Pioneer 106D DVD burner. On the other hand, our Zensonic Z330 media player had no trouble reading it.
DVD+R writing was slightly sluggish, taking 6 minutes and 9 seconds to burn our test disc, even though Nero CD/DVDSpeed reported an average data transfer rate of 12.08X using the CAV writing method.
One of the fastest rated drives on the market, the Samsung has many features aimed at improving the reliability of its burns, such as lens tilting and tighter power controls for the laser, which are especially useful when burning at the outer edges of a disc. Special power management technology is also used to keep heat and noise levels low, even when it is working at high speeds. We found the noise emissions to be reasonable during testing.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Google Earth VR lets you explore our beautiful planet on the HTC Vive
- Seagate crams a massive 5TB into a portable hard drive
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- CCFIS Connex Developer (Brisbane Based)VIC
- CCBusiness/Process AnalystQLD
- CCBiztalk DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior PMO AnalystNSW
- FTProduction control - batch schedulingNSW
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- FTJunior CAD/CAM Software DeveloperQLD
- TPMS Dynamics Post Implementation BAQLD
- CCBiztalk DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior PMO Analyst - ReportingNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorVIC
- CCReporting AnalystVIC
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- TPFinancial Project management - Multiple grant programsNSW
- FTProject Control AnalystSA
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Functional Consultant Advanced Warehouse ManagementWA
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkNSW
- TPProgram ManagerNSW
- TPPrincipal Business Analyst - DAFFQLD
- CCFIS Connex DeveloperQLD
- CCChange Manager l Port Macquarie NSWQLD
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTOffice365 Solution SpecialistSA