Samsung Writemaster SH-W162C/RSWN
- Good quality burning
- Pricey, no DVD-RAM burning
A little pricey for what you get, nonetheless this Samsung model burns very high quality discs.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Replacing the Samsung TS-H552, the SH-W162C/RSWN is the latest in the Writemaster range. It has made a great leap from 4x DVD +/- RW to 16x. In our tests we only had 6x DVD +R available, which burnt 4GB in 7min (a data rate of 9MBps). This was slightly slower than the competition, but burnt a better quality.
The real competition in the DVD market lies in the double-layer burning. The SH-W162C/RSWN burns DVD+R DL at 5x, however, it detected our 2.4x discs at 6x and produced a readable burn of 7.4GB in 20 minutes, a data rate of 6MBps.
The quality of this burn appeared nearly perfect when we analysed it later. This is due to Samsung's Silent Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) and Tilt Actuator Compensation Technology (TACT).
The Silent PWM allows for more precise voltage waveforms at high disc speeds and the TACT provides the correct angle for the laser to write, for each part of the disc. The SH-W162C/RSWN has a 2MB buffer and a burst rate of 25MB. However, it lacks DVD-RAM, which you will find in most burners in a similar price range.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 4 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- Google, IBM, and others team up to hasten data transfers in computers
- Seagate drops the world's largest tiny hard drive
- Review: ADATA’s waterproof SSD is small, rugged -- and pricey
- Samsung releases the world’s fastest gumstick SSD
- More than 840,000 Cisco devices are vulnerable to NSA-related exploit
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPTraining ManagerVIC
- CCWintel Technical LeadVIC
- CCIT Risk ManagerNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- FTDynamics CRM DeveloperVIC
- FTDynamics CRM DeveloperSA
- CCICT Business AnalystACT
- CCTest Analyst : AutomationNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Functional Analyst - PeopleSoftQLD
- FTNetwork & Gateway EngineerACT
- FTProduct ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Security) 161018/AP/383Asia
- FTCRM Business Process AnalystVIC
- CCSiteCore CMS Content Support Officer - contract Initially - SydneyNSW
- CCSenior Procurement SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- TPSAP Project ManagerSA
- TPOracle Apex DeveloperWA
- FTWeb DeveloperNSW
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW