- The smallest 3G phone we have seen, Two cameras, Transflash expansion slot
- No FM radio, Low battery life
The Z500 will be welcome to news to long suffering 3G consumers, who have until now had to put up with bulky sized phones.
Price$ 755.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 17 stores)
Who said 3G phones have to be big and clunky? Samsungs latest 3G offering, the SGH-Z500 is a compact flip phone that claims the title as the world's smallest 3G mobile. Sleek and stylish, much in the same mould as the E720 and E730, don't let the size of the Z500 fool you, as Samsung have crammed two cameras, Bluetooth support, a memory expansion slot and an MP3 player into the diminutive silver and black case.
We were impressed with the viewing clarity of the 176x220 pixel screen, which supports 262k colours and displays 8 lines of text. The external LCD was only 80 x 64 pixels, a lower resolution than we have seen on other Samsung models, but still bright enough to do the job.
The Z500 ships with 50MB of internal memory, which is ample for basic organizer functions, and allows storage of 1000 phone book entries and 200 SMS messages. However a major improvement to earlier Samsung models is the inclusion of a Transflash memory expansion slot so users can add extra memory to the phone
Transflash memory is ultra small removable flash memory, which retails for just a little more than regular SD cards and is available in 128MB, 256MB and 512MB sizes. The memory slot is a welcome addition to the Z500 and allows users to make full use of the included MP3 player. In our tests, we found the sound quality clear through the supplied headphones, but were disappointed the Z500 lacks an FM radio.
Samsung have equipped the Z500 with two camera lenses, a VGA 0.3 megapixel lens on the inside for video calling and a 1MP lens on the outside, which can take photos at 1152 x 864 pixels in single, multi or mosaic shot modes, although we could not locate a flash. Video capture is supported and video effects include sepia, black and white and night modes. The camera settings on this unit were fairly standard, and users have the ability to choose the quality of photos and videos, as with other Samsung units.
For connectivity, the Z500 supports Bluetooth, Infrared, WAP and caters for SMS, MMS and email. The unit can be synchronized with a PC and Microsoft outlook using a supplied USB cable, although the Samsung PC Studio needs to be installed on your PC beforehand.
The Z500 promises 3.4 hours of talk time, although this drops to only 2.2 hours if used for 3G calls.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen.) android smartphone
- 5 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- North Korea reportedly blocks Facebook and Twitter
- FCC eyes new rules to protect consumers as voice networks transition to IP
- Startup Slack gets $120M infusion to kill email at work
- Aldi's $279 Bauhn Sphere review: Disappointing
- Oracle's Larry Ellison isn't done building his legacy
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- FTDigital PR SpecialistNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW