Sandisk Extreme Ducati Edition (4GB)
- Excellent design, build quality, speed, cap-free, 4GB of storage, lifetime warranty
- Expensive, no pre-installed software/applications
Ducati fans will no doubt be salivating over the Extreme, but for the rest of us, excellent speeds, good build quality and plenty of storage make this an excellent, if pricey, USB flash drive.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
Designed to look like a motorcycle, SanDisk's latest attempt to spice up the normally dull product line of USB flash drives is certainly a head turner. Finished in gloss red, silver and black metal, and even featuring a taillight that glows when the drive is in use, the Extreme Ducati Edition is definitely one of the most visually appealing USB flash drives on the market.
Looks aren't everything though, and SanDisk claims the 4GB Extreme has a 20MBps read and write speed. To assess this, we dragged and dropped a folder containing 397MB of JPEG files from our PC onto the drive, and vice versa. It took 1min 04sec to transfer the files from our PC onto the unit, which works out at approximately 6.2MBps. Read speeds took just 35sec, equating to a notable 11.3MBps. Although these speeds aren't up to SanDisk's proclaimed 20MBps, they should still satisfy even the most demanding of tech geeks. The Extreme is definitely one of the fastest USB flash drives currently available on the market.
Although some may regard the design as little more than a gimmick, the red metal finish does echo a sense of sturdiness, and build quality feels excellent. The USB port is concealed within the device, and slides open via a small button at the bottom of the unit, negating the need for easily losable caps. The metal finish does weigh down the Extreme though, so wearing it around your neck with the included lanyard is best avoided.
The sleek, curved casing really does look like a Ducati motorcycle and a nice finishing touch is the Ducati badge on top of the drive. You obviously pay for the Ducati licence, but there is no doubt that motorcycle fans will find this device extremely appealing.
SanDisk includes their RescuePRO Deluxe software in the sales package - data recovery software for any memory card format. Considering the asking price though, we were a little disappointed to learn that the Extreme Ducati Edition doesn't come with any other pre-installed software or applications. On the upside, SanDisk offers a lifetime limited warranty.
All up, while the Ducati licensing may be a gimmick to some, the Extreme combines excellent build quality, good speeds and an attractive design to create an appealing USB flash drive. For its asking price, it's a little heavy, and there is no pre-installed software or applications, but overall, the Extreme Ducati Edition is a welcome entry into the market and breathes some life into the normally boring category of USB flash drives.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Google Earth VR lets you explore our beautiful planet on the HTC Vive
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- TPDatabase Integration SpecialistVIC
- FTSales Account Manager | Cloud Solutions | Global Tech GiantNSW
- TPLead Change Manager - ERPVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCLevel 1/2 SAP Support AnalystACT
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- TPSystem AdministratorVIC
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- FTJunior / Entry Level IT role - Recent IT TAFE GraduateNSW
- CCIT Solutions ArchitectQLD
- CCSAP Consultant - SAP Native HANA to DesignWA
- TPProject Technical LeadQLD
- FTSecurity Engineer - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- FTIT Project Coordinator - Mascot/AlexandriaNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCGun Java Developer wanted...VIC
- FTCustomer Support/Helpdesk Support SpecialistQLD
- CCUI UX AnalystWA
- TP.Net DeveloperSA
- FTERP ConsultantQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)QLD
- TPInstructional Designer | DETQLD
- FTSenior Database AdministratorVIC
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD