Sandisk Ultra II SD Plus 1GB
- Plugs into USB slot, fast, only slightly more expensive, eliminates the need for card readers
A product that does what it says it does and offers convenience at a competitive price. Outstanding.
Price$ 134.99 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 2 stores)
The most brilliant ideas are often the most simple, and we cannot help but raise our hats to the team at SanDisk, who have come up with an ingeniously simple yet incredibly brilliant idea - a memory card that can be plugged into a USB slot.
If you own a digital camera, PDA or digital music player, chances are you are using a memory card to store your data, whether it be pictures, photos, music, movies or documents. While there are a few different types, the most popular and commonly used memory card format is SD (Secure Digital).
SD cards have many benefits, the main one being the ability store incredibly large amounts of data on such a small chip. The problem with SD cards (and memory cards in general) has been their connectivity to computers. To use a memory card with a computer, you need either a dedicated memory slot built into the machine, or you have to purchase a dedicated card reader - like the SanDisk ImageMate.
This has meant that transferring photos from your camera to your laptop has always been inconvenient to say the least, especially if you have to carry card readers around with you. Enter the SanDisk Ultra II SD Plus - an SD memory card that is also USB compatible.
While it may look and function exactly like a standard SD card, folding over the bottom of the card reveals a USB plug, compatible with any USB port. This allows you to remove your card from your camera and plug it straight into the USB port of your PC, without the need for extra slots or card readers.
Our only concern with the card is the hinge itself looks rather flimsy and continual use of this may cause problems over time. Apart from that, the card is just about as fast as a normal memory card, and only slightly more expensive. With the convenience and practicality this card offers, you'd be nuts not to buy one.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro hybrid Ultrabook
- 3 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 4 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 5 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Why is Microsoft updating Windows PCs for a security bug on the server?
- Prices for 4K monitors sink below $500
- Apple's $450 million e-books settlement gets final approval
- Reports: EU taking first step towards breaking up Google
- US man sentenced for hacking POS systems at Subway
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Echuca AreaVIC
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC