Sandisk Ultra II SD Plus 1GB
- Plugs into USB slot, fast, only slightly more expensive, eliminates the need for card readers
A product that does what it says it does and offers convenience at a competitive price. Outstanding.
Price$ 134.99 (AUD)
The most brilliant ideas are often the most simple, and we cannot help but raise our hats to the team at SanDisk, who have come up with an ingeniously simple yet incredibly brilliant idea - a memory card that can be plugged into a USB slot.
If you own a digital camera, PDA or digital music player, chances are you are using a memory card to store your data, whether it be pictures, photos, music, movies or documents. While there are a few different types, the most popular and commonly used memory card format is SD (Secure Digital).
SD cards have many benefits, the main one being the ability store incredibly large amounts of data on such a small chip. The problem with SD cards (and memory cards in general) has been their connectivity to computers. To use a memory card with a computer, you need either a dedicated memory slot built into the machine, or you have to purchase a dedicated card reader - like the SanDisk ImageMate.
This has meant that transferring photos from your camera to your laptop has always been inconvenient to say the least, especially if you have to carry card readers around with you. Enter the SanDisk Ultra II SD Plus - an SD memory card that is also USB compatible.
While it may look and function exactly like a standard SD card, folding over the bottom of the card reveals a USB plug, compatible with any USB port. This allows you to remove your card from your camera and plug it straight into the USB port of your PC, without the need for extra slots or card readers.
Our only concern with the card is the hinge itself looks rather flimsy and continual use of this may cause problems over time. Apart from that, the card is just about as fast as a normal memory card, and only slightly more expensive. With the convenience and practicality this card offers, you'd be nuts not to buy one.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- Google, IBM, and others team up to hasten data transfers in computers
- Seagate drops the world's largest tiny hard drive
- Review: ADATA’s waterproof SSD is small, rugged -- and pricey
- Samsung releases the world’s fastest gumstick SSD
- More than 840,000 Cisco devices are vulnerable to NSA-related exploit
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTiOS Developer - PermanentWA
- FTUX CREATIVE GRAPHIC DESIGNERQLD
- CCProgress DeveloperQLD
- CCCX Performance & Insights AnalystNSW
- FTTest LeadQLD
- FTData Governance Project Manager | 6 month ContractNSW
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Solutions Architect- Agile,Infr & Apps, Govt backgroundNSW
- CCNetwork Capacity PlannerVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (Office Automation) 161031/ITA/541Asia
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Manufacturing ConsultantQLD
- CCContract Senior IT Assistant (Lotus Notes) 161101/SITA/571Asia
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- CCSEO StrategistNSW
- CCWeb Analytics AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/JAVA/J2EE) 161025/AP/862Asia
- CCSenior Front End DeveloperVIC
- FTPega DeveloperVIC
- FTData AnalystNSW
- FTDirector Data AnalyticsACT
- FTIT Operations Manager / IT Business ManagerVIC
- TPPHP Junior Developer/ProgrammerQLD
- CCSystems AdministratorQLD
- CCSAP Release & Deployment ManagerNSW
- CCAgile Business AnalystVIC