Sandisk Ultra II SD Plus 1GB
- Plugs into USB slot, fast, only slightly more expensive, eliminates the need for card readers
A product that does what it says it does and offers convenience at a competitive price. Outstanding.
Price$ 134.99 (AUD)
The most brilliant ideas are often the most simple, and we cannot help but raise our hats to the team at SanDisk, who have come up with an ingeniously simple yet incredibly brilliant idea - a memory card that can be plugged into a USB slot.
If you own a digital camera, PDA or digital music player, chances are you are using a memory card to store your data, whether it be pictures, photos, music, movies or documents. While there are a few different types, the most popular and commonly used memory card format is SD (Secure Digital).
SD cards have many benefits, the main one being the ability store incredibly large amounts of data on such a small chip. The problem with SD cards (and memory cards in general) has been their connectivity to computers. To use a memory card with a computer, you need either a dedicated memory slot built into the machine, or you have to purchase a dedicated card reader - like the SanDisk ImageMate.
This has meant that transferring photos from your camera to your laptop has always been inconvenient to say the least, especially if you have to carry card readers around with you. Enter the SanDisk Ultra II SD Plus - an SD memory card that is also USB compatible.
While it may look and function exactly like a standard SD card, folding over the bottom of the card reveals a USB plug, compatible with any USB port. This allows you to remove your card from your camera and plug it straight into the USB port of your PC, without the need for extra slots or card readers.
Our only concern with the card is the hinge itself looks rather flimsy and continual use of this may cause problems over time. Apart from that, the card is just about as fast as a normal memory card, and only slightly more expensive. With the convenience and practicality this card offers, you'd be nuts not to buy one.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Nvidia's DGX-1 supercomputer packs the horsepower of 250 servers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/Oracle/Web) 160603/SA/871Asia
- FTSenior Business Analysts - Payments or Disaster RecoveryVIC
- CCNetwork Access Specialist - Telecommunications (Apply now)!!NSW
- CCSenior Service Desk ManagerNSW
- CCIT Assistant (Office Automation/Windows) 160517/ITA/884Asia
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Network Security AdministratorACT
- FTDelivery Lead- AWSNSW
- FTLinux Infrastructure EngineerVIC
- CCHR Systems Support OfficerACT
- CCApplication System EngineerACT
- CCBPM / Java DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCCCB & MDM ConsultantNSW
- FTService Desk AnaylstNSW
- CCData Center ArchitectNSW
- CCBI/Information/Data/Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Technical LeadACT
- CCMicrosoft System Engineer - NV1ACT
- CC12 months + 2x12 months | $80/hr | NV1 Project Manager | Large govt departmentACT
- FTSenior Developer - .Net, MVC, C#NSW
- CCSenior Programmer (Data Engineering)NSW
- FTSenior Programmer (Data Engineering)NSW
- FTStibo PIM Consultant - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- CCBig Data DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Automation & Performance EngineerVIC