- HDMI inputs, Clear sounding and customizable integrated sound, great image quality.
- Short warranty period, price
Excellent screen and image quality, although the support period provided is too short.
Price$ 2,499.00 (AUD)
The LCD-32XR1, a 32" LCD panel, is apart of Sanyo's latest range of LCD's that have been marketed as quality displays without the high price tag. Although the image quality ranks right up there with other well known competitors, we think this particular panel falters with only a short warranty.being offered.
The design of the LCD-32XR1 is quite ordinary, with silver speakers attached to a black bezel. Inputs are located on the back of the panel, and include an impressive variety of hi-definition inputs, including HDMI, component input and 2 SCART inputs. Standard inputs such as S-Video, composite, headphone and RCA audio inputs are also available. The speakers provide ample sound support for regular TV viewing, and there is also an impressive amount of configurability to the sound, with a graphic equalizer accessible through the menu system. The menu system also reveals several other important configuration features such as Digital Noise Reduction (DNR), brightness, contrast and colour temperature settings.
The auto-search function immediately recognizes a video source when the TV is turned on and switches to it. We actually found this slightly irritating when we had multiple video sources plugged in, for instead of loading the previously used video signal, it would flip between the video input sources. Users will find some very handy image calibration options in the menu system; in particular, we found the noise reduction feature very helpful in reducing the inherent graininess present in LCD panels.
The TV comes with an inbuilt analogue tuner, and although this signal does not justify the achievable image quality from the panel, its good know that users do not necessarily need an external tuner. We did set up an external Hi-Def set top box, and the image quality was exceptional. Displaying full screen at 720P, the colour qualities were rendered accurately, with very similar results to Samsung's LA32R51B . The contrast ratio is one of the best we have seen with LCD technology, with dark scenes easily resolved when compared to displays such as Legend Digital's 30" LCD . Simply put, the performance of this screen is comparable to the better regarded brands.
We do anticipate some users will feel uncomfortable with the short warranty period of 12 months. We have seen most screens supported by at least a 2 year warranty, as well as plasma's with up to a 5 year warranty. Only having 12 months is definitely too short, and with the retail price listed above, we would be cautious when purchasing this screen.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- Say goodbye to Apple's third-generation Apple TV
- Japan gears up for 8K TV broadcasting
- NHK's latest 8K display is large, thin and beautiful
- Japan starts 8K TV broadcasts in time for Rio Olympics
- Android TV's universal search feature finally works with Netflix
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCInterface AnalystSA
- CCSharePoint / Office365 DeveloperQLD
- CCTechnology Training ManagerNSW
- CCSiebel Technical Integration SpecialistACT
- CCICT Service Desk AnalystSA
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior AEM Support AnalystVIC
- CCNetApp ConsultantWA
- FTiOS Developer - PermanentWA
- CCAnalyst Programmer (12-month renewable Contract)Asia
- CCApplication Senior Project ManagerACT
- CCContract Senior IT Assistant (Lotus Notes) 161101/SITA/571Asia
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- CCIteration ManagerVIC
- FTSolutions Architect - Microsoft TechnologiesNSW
- FTBusiness/Technical Consultant (CPM)QLD
- TPProject Manager. AutomationNSW
- FTSenior MS Dynamics CRM ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Java ProgrammerWA
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Functional Consultant Advanced Warehouse ManagementACT
- FTUX/UI DesignerNSW
- CCProject SchedulerACT
- FTBusiness Analyst - HKMAAsia
- CCTechnical Test AnalystACT
- TPFrontend DeveloperNSW