- HDMI inputs, Clear sounding and customizable integrated sound, great image quality.
- Short warranty period, price
Excellent screen and image quality, although the support period provided is too short.
Price$ 2,499.00 (AUD)
The LCD-32XR1, a 32" LCD panel, is apart of Sanyo's latest range of LCD's that have been marketed as quality displays without the high price tag. Although the image quality ranks right up there with other well known competitors, we think this particular panel falters with only a short warranty.being offered.
The design of the LCD-32XR1 is quite ordinary, with silver speakers attached to a black bezel. Inputs are located on the back of the panel, and include an impressive variety of hi-definition inputs, including HDMI, component input and 2 SCART inputs. Standard inputs such as S-Video, composite, headphone and RCA audio inputs are also available. The speakers provide ample sound support for regular TV viewing, and there is also an impressive amount of configurability to the sound, with a graphic equalizer accessible through the menu system. The menu system also reveals several other important configuration features such as Digital Noise Reduction (DNR), brightness, contrast and colour temperature settings.
The auto-search function immediately recognizes a video source when the TV is turned on and switches to it. We actually found this slightly irritating when we had multiple video sources plugged in, for instead of loading the previously used video signal, it would flip between the video input sources. Users will find some very handy image calibration options in the menu system; in particular, we found the noise reduction feature very helpful in reducing the inherent graininess present in LCD panels.
The TV comes with an inbuilt analogue tuner, and although this signal does not justify the achievable image quality from the panel, its good know that users do not necessarily need an external tuner. We did set up an external Hi-Def set top box, and the image quality was exceptional. Displaying full screen at 720P, the colour qualities were rendered accurately, with very similar results to Samsung's LA32R51B . The contrast ratio is one of the best we have seen with LCD technology, with dark scenes easily resolved when compared to displays such as Legend Digital's 30" LCD . Simply put, the performance of this screen is comparable to the better regarded brands.
We do anticipate some users will feel uncomfortable with the short warranty period of 12 months. We have seen most screens supported by at least a 2 year warranty, as well as plasma's with up to a 5 year warranty. Only having 12 months is definitely too short, and with the retail price listed above, we would be cautious when purchasing this screen.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- NASA joins the 4k party with an Ultra HD channel of its own
- Apple iPhone 6s, iPad Pro & Apple TV: The bullet points
- Apple gets Siri-ous about television with Apple TV
- LG’s 2014 smart TVs to get a free update to webOS 2.0
- Samsung to show transparent OLED at IFA
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW