- Great colour depth in a darkened room
- LCD technology produces 'flyscreen' effect
Sanyo's PLV-Z3 runs quietly and produces outstanding images for a home theatre model. The only catch is the 'flyscreen' inherent to LCD technology.
Price$ 3,699.00 (AUD)
Sanyo's PLVZ3 LCD-based home theatre projector offers compelling features for the movie buff. The model has a 16:9 aspect ratio at a 1280 x 720 pixel resolution (720p), with an 800 ANSI-lumen brightness rating and 2000:1 contrast ratio.
The relatively low brightness rating demonstrates the PLVZ3 is designed for use in a darkened home theatre environment, as the lamp isn't powerful enough to overcome ambient light. It looks great in a dimly lit room, though, achieving deep colour saturation, and accurate shades of black. The machine includes a number of presets for brightness, contrast and colour temperature, and the fan remains whisper quiet in the modes commonly used for watching movies in a dark room.
The rear of the projector offers up HDMI, VGA, S-Video, composite and two sets of component inputs. The black LCD unit features a novel lens cover that slides out to protect the entire face when not in operation. Another unusual feature is the positioning of lens shift dials on the front face, immediately to the right of the lens. The rest of the menu, input and navigation buttons can be found on the top panel and remote control.
The machine relies on LCD panels to produce the image, and suffers from the same flyscreen effect as other non-DLP models. (LCD projectors produce a gap between each pixel on the projected surface, which gives the effect of looking at the image through a screen door.)
The image processing is top-notch, and the 4.1kg PLVZ3 produces clean, clear images from DVD or broadcast digital TV.
This projector is packed with features, including access to the LCD panels to clear dust particles, and the unit even comes with a rubber blower to direct a jet of air over the panels and keep it as good as new. The remote control sports backlit buttons, which is appropriate for a projector intended for use in a home theatre environment.
At 36 x 11 x 27cm, it's quite big, but elegant features like the ability to clean the LCD panels, quiet operation, a range of inputs, and outstanding image quality help make the Sanyo PLVZ3 a compelling home theatre projector--provided you can get over the flyscreen effect generated by the LCD panels.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
- Win an iPad or a Samsung Galaxy Tab in the 2012 PC World Media Usage survey
- Vivid Sydney 2012 gets some love from will.i.am
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPAnalyst Programmer (Adabas)SA
- FTHead of ApplicationsVIC
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedNSW
- FTSenior Learning Specialist - Global OrganisationQLD
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)WA
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)VIC
- CCProject Support SpecialistVIC
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- TPSolution Architect - Real-Time Tracking SystemVIC
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- CCTechnical Team LeadSA
- CCLevel 2 IT Service DeskQLD
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)WA
- CCSenior Project Manager - Regulatory/Compliance - BankingNSW
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - Wealth AdviceNSW
- TPDesktop Support OfficerQLD
- CCService ManagerACT
- CCSenior Automation TesterQLD
- TPOrganisational Change Manager - ICT Services TransformationQLD
- FTClient Delivery ManagerSA
- CCSecurity AnalystACT
- TPProject Manager to manage two concurrent ProjectsQLD
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW