ScanSoft PDF Converter 2.0 Professional
Price$ 195.00 (AUD)
DF Converter 2.0 Professional is an amalgam of two ScanSoft PDF tools sold separately: PDF Converter and PDF Create. The former lets you transfer the text and images contained in a non-editable Acrobat PDF file into an editable Word document; while the latter installs a special PDF printer driver - to create a PDF, simply print your document to it.
While Converter 2.0 is confined to Word, with PDF Create you can print from any Windows application. Installation is simple, but it requires product activation.
PDF creation is a smooth affair and batch processing of multiple documents into PDFs is handled by the separate PDF Create Assistant. The PDF conversion process is child's play: right-click the PDF and select Open PDF in Word. Word is then launched and the conversion process commences. Or you can open a PDF as if it were a native format. The conversion status box appears while the document is translated.
If the PDF has lots of pages it can take a minute or so to process, even on a moderately powerful processor. PDF Converter does its best to translate documents into Word format, matching typefaces to the closest available on the host PC. Adobe Reader 6.0 lets you extract text (but not graphics) from an unencrypted PDF and doesn't preserve the format.
On the whole, the fidelity of the converted PDF document is pretty good. PDF Converter only gets mildly flummoxed by complex things such as multicolumn layouts. When it does convert a form into Word format, it remains editable - a neat touch.
Click here to view a screen shot. of PDF Create - a batch processing tool is available for both the conversion and creation processes.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- ACCC to scrutinise impact of NBN, 5G on telco competition
- Telstra increases NBN market share
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- Microsoft Word gains powerful Editor, Researcher tools to help you write more good
- Aussie regulator calls for greater broadband speed transparency
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- CCSenior Change Analyst, WealthNSW
- CCDevOps Engineer - Php, LAMP, XML, scripting, JavaNSW
- FTOrchestration Engineer - DevOps - PuppetVIC
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperVIC
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- FTAutomation Tester- C#, Selenium | Cloud Based Finance SolutionsNSW
- FTCyber Security Sales Executive / Account DirectorNSW
- CCLean Six Sigma Project ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- CCSenior Process Analyst - WealthVIC
- CCSenior Project Specialist - Network IPVIC
- CCSenior Manager - Infrastructure Supply ChainNSW
- FTPrincipal Business Consultant- Wealth ManagementNSW
- CCSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCITIL- Technical Release CoordinatorNSW
- CCComms project specialistVIC
- CCChange Manager/ Advisor- operational environmentNSW
- FTTest Lead - HP ALMNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (.Net/SQL Server) 160829/SA/244Asia
- CCProject Manager, Infrastructure Migration, AWS CloudNSW
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT