ScanSoft PDF Converter 2.0 Professional
Price$ 195.00 (AUD)
DF Converter 2.0 Professional is an amalgam of two ScanSoft PDF tools sold separately: PDF Converter and PDF Create. The former lets you transfer the text and images contained in a non-editable Acrobat PDF file into an editable Word document; while the latter installs a special PDF printer driver - to create a PDF, simply print your document to it.
While Converter 2.0 is confined to Word, with PDF Create you can print from any Windows application. Installation is simple, but it requires product activation.
PDF creation is a smooth affair and batch processing of multiple documents into PDFs is handled by the separate PDF Create Assistant. The PDF conversion process is child's play: right-click the PDF and select Open PDF in Word. Word is then launched and the conversion process commences. Or you can open a PDF as if it were a native format. The conversion status box appears while the document is translated.
If the PDF has lots of pages it can take a minute or so to process, even on a moderately powerful processor. PDF Converter does its best to translate documents into Word format, matching typefaces to the closest available on the host PC. Adobe Reader 6.0 lets you extract text (but not graphics) from an unencrypted PDF and doesn't preserve the format.
On the whole, the fidelity of the converted PDF document is pretty good. PDF Converter only gets mildly flummoxed by complex things such as multicolumn layouts. When it does convert a form into Word format, it remains editable - a neat touch.
Click here to view a screen shot. of PDF Create - a batch processing tool is available for both the conversion and creation processes.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Siri-powered Amazon Echo rival reportedly hits the prototype phase
- Hackers have a treasure trove of data with the Yahoo breach
- Hands-on: Opera's free, unlimited browser VPN is ready for secure surfing
- Microsoft sues repeat software pirate who owes company $1.2M from prior case
- New Skype Preview lets Windows 10 Insiders manage phone texts on PCs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- CCService Desk analystSA
- CCDesktop Infrastructure SpecialistACT
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCNetwork Design Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- CCPMO AnalystNSW