ScanSoft PDF Converter 2.0 Professional
DF Converter 2.0 Professional is an amalgam of two ScanSoft PDF tools sold separately: PDF Converter and PDF Create. The former lets you transfer the text and images contained in a non-editable Acrobat PDF file into an editable Word document; while the latter installs a special PDF printer driver - to create a PDF, simply print your document to it.
While Converter 2.0 is confined to Word, with PDF Create you can print from any Windows application. Installation is simple, but it requires product activation.
PDF creation is a smooth affair and batch processing of multiple documents into PDFs is handled by the separate PDF Create Assistant. The PDF conversion process is child's play: right-click the PDF and select Open PDF in Word. Word is then launched and the conversion process commences. Or you can open a PDF as if it were a native format. The conversion status box appears while the document is translated.
If the PDF has lots of pages it can take a minute or so to process, even on a moderately powerful processor. PDF Converter does its best to translate documents into Word format, matching typefaces to the closest available on the host PC. Adobe Reader 6.0 lets you extract text (but not graphics) from an unencrypted PDF and doesn't preserve the format.
On the whole, the fidelity of the converted PDF document is pretty good. PDF Converter only gets mildly flummoxed by complex things such as multicolumn layouts. When it does convert a form into Word format, it remains editable - a neat touch.
Click here to view a screen shot. of PDF Create - a batch processing tool is available for both the conversion and creation processes.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Mozilla Firefox update fixes several vulnerabilities
- Like Chromebooks, thumb-size PCs will bloom
- Windows Phone can now work on smartphones with Intel x86 chips
- Dell's OS10 aims to open up networks, then whole datacentres
- iOS 9.2.1 and OS X 10.11.3 are now available
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCSenior Wintel EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Performance Test AnalystNSW
- PTService Desk OperatorSA
- FTBusiness Analyst (SCADA / CSI)VIC
- CCProject Manager IT infrastructureACT
- CCSystem AdminVIC
- FTJava Full Stack Developer - MelbourneVIC
- CCData Stage DeveloperNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (Linux/Security/LAN) 160211/SSA/521Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160205/AP/541Asia
- CCMVC .Net Developer- Hurstville NSW 2220NSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Life InsuranceVIC
- CCSenior Identity ManagerVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager, Research Data ProjectNSW
- CCEXCEL Guru / Data AdministratorNSW
- FTFront End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (Website/PHP development) 160122/SA/vmtAsia
- CCImmediate iOS Developer Required - Contract - SydneyNSW
- FTNetwork Systems LeadVIC
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTSecurity ArchitectWA
- CCApplication Support AnalystNSW
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW