SCEA PixelJunk Eden
You'll be in paradise with PixelJunk Eden!
- Stylish visuals, addicting high-score gameplay, three-player cooperative mode
- Repetitive gameplay, later levels are extremely challenging
It can't top the cream of the current crop of downloadable PSN games like Super Stardust HD, PixelJunk Monsters, and Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection Online, but it certainly holds its weight if you're looking to kill a few hours on a lazy Sunday.
Price$ 12.95 (AUD)
Got ten bucks lying around? Own a PS3? Looking for a great game to occupy your time? Then we have just the thing for you: read on for our review of PixelJunk Eden, a fantastic game available only on the Playstation Network!
Available for a mere ten bucks on the PlayStation Network, Pixel Junk Eden is a welcome addition to the PS3's growing library of exclusive downloadable games. It's as easy to pick up and play as the original Mario, but offers enough depth and strategy for the high-score junkies to appreciate. What's most unfortunate, however, is that the game's initial charm, which so easily captivated me, dies off rather quickly.
That's too bad because Eden is a completely original and creative title that had a lot of potential. You play as a tiny elephant-spider with the ability to spin a silk line that you can use to latch onto flower petals. With your spider-like powers, you must defeat Pollen Prowler enemies who explode into pollen that pollinates nearby flower seeds; the flower seeds then grow into beanstalks which gives you access to the upper reaches of the levels where "Spectra" orbs can be reached. There are five Spectra orbs per level, or "Gardens" as they're called in the game, and you have to collect them in order to proceed.
It's an interesting concept and it was fun in the beginning, but after playing for a while, I found myself growing bored with the simplistic, repetitive gameplay. It doesn't help that each Spectra orb has to be collected one at a time either. This means you are forced to revisit each garden five times in order to get a 100% completion ranking. In addition, climbing the beanstalks of Eden is not as easy as it sounds, especially in the later levels.
Still, PixelJunk Eden is a beautiful and mesmerising title that warrants a look.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Star Citizen dumps DirectX 12 plans to focus on Vulkan-powered graphics
- Dungeons and Dragons ditches pen and paper with D&D Beyond
- Exclusive no more: PlayStation 4 games are coming to the PC via PlayStation Now
- Adding video apps like Netflix to the Nintendo Switch is a waste of Nintendo's energy
- You can download Nintendo's Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS and Android today
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- CCSAP FICO ConsultantWA
- TPSolution ArchitechtSA
- FTMarketing Specialist (B2B Sales)NSW
- CCFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystACT
- FTCloud Infrastructure Specialist - Azure/AWSNSW
- FTLevel 2 Technical Support OfficerQLD
- FTSnr Salesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- CCApplication Developer - FileNetQLD
- FTSenior Automation Test AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- CCData AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst (BPMN or UML & Agile)QLD
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- CCDigital Business ArchitectACT
- FTBusiness Analyst - Online / DigitalQLD
- FTSolutions Architect - Digital Technologies Financial ServicesQLD
- FTC# (Full Stack) DeveloperNSW
- CCApplication PackagerNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTApplication Team Lead - ERP & Microsoft TechnologiesNSW
- TPIT Project ManagerNSW
- FTProgram Learning Capability Manager, Financial ServicesNSW