SCEA PixelJunk Eden
You'll be in paradise with PixelJunk Eden!
- Stylish visuals, addicting high-score gameplay, three-player cooperative mode
- Repetitive gameplay, later levels are extremely challenging
It can't top the cream of the current crop of downloadable PSN games like Super Stardust HD, PixelJunk Monsters, and Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection Online, but it certainly holds its weight if you're looking to kill a few hours on a lazy Sunday.
Price$ 12.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Got ten bucks lying around? Own a PS3? Looking for a great game to occupy your time? Then we have just the thing for you: read on for our review of PixelJunk Eden, a fantastic game available only on the Playstation Network!
Available for a mere ten bucks on the PlayStation Network, Pixel Junk Eden is a welcome addition to the PS3's growing library of exclusive downloadable games. It's as easy to pick up and play as the original Mario, but offers enough depth and strategy for the high-score junkies to appreciate. What's most unfortunate, however, is that the game's initial charm, which so easily captivated me, dies off rather quickly.
That's too bad because Eden is a completely original and creative title that had a lot of potential. You play as a tiny elephant-spider with the ability to spin a silk line that you can use to latch onto flower petals. With your spider-like powers, you must defeat Pollen Prowler enemies who explode into pollen that pollinates nearby flower seeds; the flower seeds then grow into beanstalks which gives you access to the upper reaches of the levels where "Spectra" orbs can be reached. There are five Spectra orbs per level, or "Gardens" as they're called in the game, and you have to collect them in order to proceed.
It's an interesting concept and it was fun in the beginning, but after playing for a while, I found myself growing bored with the simplistic, repetitive gameplay. It doesn't help that each Spectra orb has to be collected one at a time either. This means you are forced to revisit each garden five times in order to get a 100% completion ranking. In addition, climbing the beanstalks of Eden is not as easy as it sounds, especially in the later levels.
Still, PixelJunk Eden is a beautiful and mesmerising title that warrants a look.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Angry Birds 2 is the 'sequel' you've been waiting for
- Rising Thunder is a PC-exclusive robot brawler built by Street Fighter talent
- Nintendo's President Iwata's death comes as firm tries to move to mobile
- Batman: Arkham Knight (PC) review: Holy squandered potential, Batman
- Batman: Arkham Knight: How bad are the issues? Pretty bad.
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW