Seagate 8GB Compact Flash Card
- Massive storage
- Hard disk limits write time
If you need space but not speed then maybe this card is for you.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 5 stores)
- Barracuda 7200rpm 500gb Sata 6gbs 16mb Cache (s... 101.00
- St500dm002 Seagate Barracuda -- 3.5''/500gb/sat... 92.95
- St500dm002 500gb Barracuda Desktop Hdd 3.5" 720... 72.35
As the resolution of camera sensors continues to grow, photographers will need to increase their storage space to ensure they can always capture shots when needed. The Seagate eight gigabyte compact flash card is currently the forerunner in terms of raw size. The first eight gigabyte memory in this format, it offers the potential to store 300 or 400 files shots even in uncompressed formats.
Compact flash isn't as widely supported as the more popular SD card (Secure Disk) but many advanced models thankfully cater for it. Unlike SD cards however, this Seagate unit is actually a hard drive, as opposed to flash memory. What this means is, whilst it may be big it is certainly not quick. Most professional photographers are going to be looking for speedy write times to minimize down time between shots (RAW and TIFF files can already take a long time to write), and thus unless you need a mammoth amount of space and are only shooting JPEGs, you might be better off purchasing several smaller cards to maximize speed.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Synology DiskStation DS215j NAS device
- 2 Fitbit Charge wireless activity tracker
- 3 HP Stream 11 laptop
- 4 B&O BeoPlay A2 portable Bluetooth speaker
- 5 Acer Chromebook 11 (CB3-111)
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- EU air passenger database about to take flight, but critics want it grounded
- Canadian agency reported to be monitoring millions of downloads
- Good wants to manage your smartphones for $3 a month, per user
- Blackphone super-secure communications app had serious flaw
- Alibaba clashes with Chinese regulator over online sales of fake goods
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.