Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk (3TB) external hard drive
A Seagate desktop hard drive with 3TB of storage
- 3TB capacity, detachable adapter tray, good cost-to-gigabyte ratio
- Weak tray makes it unstable
The Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk is a great option for anyone requiring lots of storage space.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Seagate's GoFlex Desk External Drive is a 3TB USB 2.0 external hard drive. Optional adapters can be used to add USB 3.0 and FireWire connectivity.
The Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk is relatively slim considering its huge storage capacity. It’s somewhat skinnier than the Western Digital MyBook World Edition (1TB) (44mm), although slightly taller (158mm).
The GoFlex Desk has a detachable bottom tray that allows users to switch between USB 2.0, USB 3.0 and FireWire 800 connections (the USB 3.0 and FireWire adaptors are sold separately, for $69 a pop). While this is convenient, the tray doesn't feel as sturdy as we'd like. During our tests, the unit toppled over after a minor knock (luckily, it wasn't near the desk's edge).
The drive has four LEDs that act as a capacity drive. There's a SATA port hidden underneath the detachable tray; if you use it you'll need to sit the device flat on its size and the capacity gauge won't work, however.
The 3TB Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk comes with a ‘Seagate Dashboard’ interface, which handles backup management, synchronisation and data encryption. When prompted to install the hard drive’s Memeo backup software, you can either install the free (but limited) version, or trial the premium version for 30 days. The premium version allows you to backup data online or to specific locations on the drive.
Overall, the GoFlex Desk external hard drive impressed us during our USB 2.0 storage benchmarking tests. During our 19.4GB large file benchmark reading test, the hard drive produced an average speed of 29.2MB per second and completed the task in 12 minutes and 57 seconds. During our 19.4GB large file writing test, the unit generated an average speed of 29.5MBps and finished the job in 13 minutes and three seconds.
In our 3GB small file benchmark reading test, the unit demonstrated an average speed of 16.6MBps, tidying up at three minutes and nine seconds. During our 3GB small file writing benchmark, the GoFlex delivered an average speed of 12.7MBps, checking out at four minutes.
The FreeAgent GoFlex Desk hard drive costs 14 cents per formatted gigabyte, which we think is reasonably good value. It's a great option for anyone who is after serious storage capacity, security and peace of mind.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Google Nexus 6P review: An outstanding multimedia machine
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Hitachi Data Systems introduces HFS A series family
- Toshiba to cut 6800 jobs, focus on storage and energy
- WD ships world's first 10TB helium-filled hard drive
- Consumer SSDs and hard drive prices are nearing parity
- Lexar adds 128GB 2000x SDXC UHS-II card to Professional range
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSolution Design EngineerACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS.Net/Visual Basic) 160129/AP/vtdAsia
- CCProject ManagerSA
- CCSenior Change Analyst - Multiple RolesVIC
- FTSenior Linux Sys AdminNSW
- CCPython Web Developer - DevOPS EnvironmentVIC
- CCPega BPM Developer / Configurer - 12 months contractACT
- CCInformation Security ManagerNSW
- CCHybris Developer - Global ConsultancyNSW
- CCMVC .Net Developer- Hurstville NSW 2220NSW
- CCSystems AnalystQLD
- FTInsight / Customer - Data ScientistNSW
- FTSystems Administrator/Engineer | $60-90K package | Northern BeachesNSW
- FTHelpdesk support - Level 1VIC
- FTLogistics Systems ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Product Specialist - Cisco CPENSW
- CCBusiness Project Manager - Transformation ProgramNSW
- CCHelpdesk SupportNSW
- CCSSIS/ SSRS ExpertVIC
- FTJunior Developer | C#, MVC & SQL | Class FinanceNSW
- CCRecords Officer - CanberraACT
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - SCOM/SCCM/PowerShellVIC
- CCOracle Business Analyst / TrainerSA
- CCContract System Engineer (Lotus Domin) 160129/SE/vccAsia