Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Net external hard drive
Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Net: Dual-Drive Dock With USB and Social Media Ties
- Easy to set up, twin dock for Seagate's portable GoFlex drives
- Only one USB port for additional drives
Seagate's FreeAgent GoFlex Net external hard drive lets you access files anywhere and share them via social networks and the Web.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
Seagate's FreeAgent GoFlex Net gives you supereasy access to your files from any Internet connection, along with the ability to share them with others.
The GoFlex Net has two 2.5-inch SATA hard drive bays (designed to accommodate the Seagate GoFlex portable hard drive) and a single USB 2.0 port for attaching USB drives. Seagate sells GoFlex drives that fit snugly into the dock, but the connectors inside are standard SATA and I successfully connected several non-Seagate drives to the ports. In fact, you should be able to use any 2.5-inch SATA drive that has separate data and power connectors, though you might have to remove it from its case first.
Setting up the GoFlex Net's is very simple. Plug the unit into the wall and into the router, go online to Pogoplug.com, create an account or sign in to an existing one, and select Activate New Device. Previously, users had to enter a serial number found on the bottom of their Pogoplug-technology product, but now (in most cases) the devices appear automatically.
The Pogoplug online portal lets you copy, delete, download, and upload files--basically, anything that you can do with your files at home. There's even an online viewer for perusing images, Microsoft Office files, and other content without having to fire up a local application--handy in Internet cafes that offer only browsing. Seagate includes software for file syncing, too. And the GoFlex Net works with social networking services and portable devices like the iPhone and the iPad. Pogoplug doesn't support local network administration or access, as the Ctera Networks CloudPlug and the Iomega iConnect Wireless Data Station do, but it allows you to share files online more easily than with CloudPlug.
Many users will appreciate being able to plug SATA drives directly into a Pogo-enabled dock. My only complaint is it has only one USB port, though you can work around that (as I did) with a powered USB hub.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Top 30 AWS cloud services
- The Good Guys take serious aim at ASX listing
- Google Daydreams about VR, and enterprises take note
- Microsoft pledges to use more renewable energy in its data centers
- Google's mobile productivity apps bury Microsoft's
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSenior Java DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Portfolio Analyst - Risk and MetricsNSW
- CCData Engineer (Java, Scala, Scripting, Hadoop, Spark)NSW
- CCNV1 Consultant | Groundbreaking Defence decision support applicationACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer (Enterprise Java Beans/J2EE) 160601/AP/982Asia
- FTManager, Applications SpecialistNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- FTPermanent Defence network engineer - career progression & flexible conditionsACT
- CCDigital Project ManagerVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/Orcale/MySQL) 160531/SA/253Asia
- CCSystem Engineer - Server Migration experienceNSW
- CCNetwork AdministratorWA
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/.Net) 160523/AP/254Asia
- CCData Center ArchitectNSW
- CCIT Assistant (Office Automation/Windows) 160517/ITA/884Asia
- CCProject Manager NetworksNSW
- CCAWS Developer/LeadNSW
- CCMobile LI SMEVIC
- CCSystems Engineer- VMware / Cisco UCSNSW
- FTNetwork SpecialistVIC
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsNSW
- CCApplication System EngineerACT
- CCOracle Siebel Administrator - JULY STARTACT
- FTAX Lead Functional ConsultantNSW