Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (ST9500420AS) hard drive
Seagate's Momentus 7200.4 is a 7200rpm hard drive that will fit in a notebook
- Very fast read/write speeds, relatively good price per gigabyte
- Vibrates more than a 5400rpm laptop hard drive
The Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (ST9500420AS) is a laptop hard drive that offers faster read/write speeds than many larger desktop hard drives. If you need a fast and cool hard drive for laptops, media centre PCs or network-attached storage (NAS) devices, this is worth a look.
Price$ 217.00 (AUD)
The Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (ST9500420AS) is a 500GB 2.5in hard drive with a spin speed of 7200rpm and a 16MB cache. Despite being small enough to fit in a laptop drive bay it is faster than many 3.5in hard drives designed for desktop PCs.
The Seagate Momentus 7200.4 is faster than 5400rpm laptop drives we've tested, such as the Western Digital Scorpio Blue (WD5000BEVT) and the Seagate Momentus 5400.4 250GB (ST9250827AS). This was shown in our transfer tests.
We copied 19.4GB of files from our testbed PC, which uses a Western Digital Velociraptor (WD3000GLFS), and recorded a write speed of 77.2 megabytes per second and a read speed of 85.99MBps. Duplicating data on the Momentus hard drive (copying data from one folder on the drive to another), was achieved at a rate of 25.63MBps. This is an excellent result, especially given that many desktop hard drives such as the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B (HDT721010SLA360) and the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB aren't as fast.
Out in the open, the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ran at an average temperature of 30 degrees Celsius. This is nine degrees cooler than a typical 3.5in hard drive. Because it's as fast as a desktop drive and has such a large capacity, it's a good hard drive to use in a PC case in which space is at a premium (such as a media centre). The relatively low heat production means you can use a couple of these drives in a RAID array in a cramped case without worrying about them overheating.
As well as delivering faster performance, the higher spin speed results in a higher level of vibration. When we installed the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (ST9500420AS) hard drive in a 15.4in laptop, its level of vibration was more noticeable through the palm rest than it was when we installed a 5400rpm Western Digital Scorpio (WD3200BEVT).
The Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (ST9500420AS) has a formatted capacity of 465GB and a cost per gigabyte of 47 cents. While this is expensive when compared to desktop hard drives such as the Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B (HDT721010SLA360), which has a cost per formatted gigabyte of 26.7 cents, it is competitive for a notebook drive. It is slightly cheaper than the 55.7 cents per formatted gigabyte of the Western Digital Scorpio Blue (WD5000BEVT).
The Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (ST9500420AS) will be useful if you're after a high-performance laptop hard drive for tasks like video editing or playing games. It's also worth a look if you're building a fast and cool media centre for your home entertainment system.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Nvidia's new $200 GeForce GTX 1060 3GB challenges the Radeon RX 480 head-on
- Corsair and MSI team up on a liquid-cooled, overclocked GeForce GTX 1080
- AMD's new SSG Technology blends an SSD with a GPU?!
- AMD packs 1TB SSD into a GPU for better VR and gaming
- AMD's Radeon Pro WX GPUs can create VR content for under $1,000
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW
- CCInfra & Application Specialist/ Devops SpecialistNSW
- CCFacilities ManagerACT
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCProject Manager - Expense Management SystemVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCComms project specialistVIC
- CCProject ManagerACT
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCNetwork Implementation EngineerNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Internet/ Intranet) 160902/SA/222Asia
- FTIT Manager - Infrastructure Strategy and OperationsNSW
- CCManager Architecture Practice Lead (Infrastructure Architect)NSW
- CCData/ Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- FTNational ICT Senior Technical Support EngineerACT
- CCBusiness Analyst / SalesforceNSW
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/P/743Asia