Sega Sonic Rush Adventure
- Surprising amount of content, diversified tracks, map exploration is a nice touch
- Excessive voice sound effects during racing, still technically the same Sonic formula
Overall, Sonic Rush Adventure is a welcome and surprising addition to the vast Sonic canon. I can only hope that the other Sonic titles on the horizon are as good as this one.
Price$ 69.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
It's clear that the developers at Sega are playing the numbers game. With five Sonic titles set to release this year, odds are that at least one of them is bound to be halfway decent. It looks like they've hit their quota early, though, because Sonic Rush Adventure is actually pretty good.
A sequel to 2005's Sonic Rush, Adventure is a side-scrolling 2D platformer that makes excellent use of both screens. As with most Sonic games, you can jam your finger on the right D-pad button, and for the most part, it will usually get you to the end. However, the slew of extra moves including double jumps, tricks, dashes and glides makes reaching the finish line a more varied and interesting affair. What's more, you actually have incentive to run the best race possible as you're rated on how well you run the course: the better the rating you get, the more material you receive, which allows your sidekick Tails to craft the various sea-faring vessels that shuttle you around from island to island faster.
Another great aspect of the game was its length: while there are only seven islands in total, there is a surprising amount of content that is unlocked. The graphics are also excellent as are the designs and layouts of the various levels.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- EA delays Need for Speed's PC edition to deliver more speed
- This week in PC gaming: Cliff Bleszinski’s LawBreakers defies gravity, XCOM 2 defies release
- Pac-Man Championship Edition DX evolves the classic formula—and puts it into overdrive
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate hands-on: Top-hats, bobbies, and a bit o' ultraviolence
- Angry Birds 2 is the 'sequel' you've been waiting for
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCWeb / Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW