Sennheiser MM 50 for iPhone
An ideal upgrade for your iPhone
- Subtle and sophisticated design, comfort, push-to-talk button, reasonable sound quality
- Incoming audio quality of calls could be better
These headphones are an ideal replacement for the standard Apple headphones that come with the iPhone.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Boasting a microphone and a call button to answer incoming calls, and featuring an in-ear design designed to minimise background noise, with the MM 50 Sennheiser has provided an ideal set of headphones to replace the standard Apple headphones packaged with the iPhone.
With the launch of the iPhone 3G just around the corner, there is set to be an explosion in the number of iPhone accessories available in Australia. The MM 50 is one of the first and it represents decent value for money.
In terms of design, these headphones are similar to the CX 300, with the exception of the black colour scheme. They won't attract attention, but offer a sophisticated look thanks to the black cord and ear buds. Each ear bud is finished with a brushed edge. They are ear-canal headphones and Sennheiser has included three different sized ear sleeves (S, M, L) to ensure an optimal fit. Comfort is good — the headphones are relatively unnoticeable, even during lengthy listening spells.
The best feature, aside from the audio quality, is the push-to-talk button, which allows you to answer and reject incoming calls. When a call comes in, the music dims and your ring tone plays through the headphones. A simple press of the push-to-talk button answers the call. The button can also be used to control music playback — simply press the button once to play or pause the current track, or twice to skip to the next track.
Although it's convenient to be able to answer calls through these earphones, the quality of calls isn't as good as we expected. Incoming sound was distant and sometimes distorted, even when we had excellent mobile coverage. However, outgoing sound is fair and none of our callers complained. The sound for voice calls isn't as good as the iPhone 3G, for example.
The headphones produce reasonable but not outstanding sound. Bass in particular is excellent without ruining the clarity in higher ranges. Mid-range isn't as detailed as we'd have liked, though at this price point it's unreasonable to expect much better. Although audiophiles won't be excited, ordinary consumers should be, as these headphones improve the sound of your iPhone tenfold.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Google is building its own smartphone, report says
- Report: HTC-built Nexus 'Sailfish' leaks reveal the undercard in the next Nexus lineup
- What iOS 10 can tell us about the new iPhone
- Rumor check: Everything we think we know about the Galaxy Note 7
- Windows 10 phones finally gain NFC payment support as Wallet 2.0 rolls out in preview
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTProduct Owner - MarketingNSW
- CCAgile Product Manager/ UX, Web, Digital Project ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle) 160704/AP/601Asia
- FTSenior Network Engineer JUNIPERNSW
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160621/P/866Asia
- CCSecurity Solution ArchitectQLD
- CCUX DesignersQLD
- FTLooking for a PEGA Developer with Baseline ClearanceVIC
- CCChange ManagerACT
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/ SQL/Web) 160708/AP/352Asia
- CCICT Engineer - SecurityQLD
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- CCETL Developer - Tableau FocusNSW
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/Technical Support) 160616/ITA/991Asia
- CCServiceNow DeveloperVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (IT Security/IT Audit) 160621/ITA/361Asia
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCSystems Trainer - Networking/ RadioVIC
- CCProject Scheduler - IT Security ProgramNSW
- CCSharePoint AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Enterprise DataNSW
- CCIT Helpdesk Support- Remedy ticketing systemNSW